The Countdown...to a Year of Fixed Axle

12 days and counting. I’ve wanted to do this for a long time, and I’m still working on the details. But as of right now I’m planning on only playing fixed axle for 2019. This use to be normal for me for years, as all I had was a fixed axle, but the past 8 years or so I’ve played more than ever, so I want to take the time to focus on one thing, to really learn all the intricacies of it. Right now I’m planning on only playing 1 yoyo for the year. I’m waiting for the 2018 eH to arrive to decide what it’ll be, but thinking I’m going to use that. New yoyo, new year, new challenge.

Right now I’m waiting on a metal Yeti and a package from CoreCo to arrive, so I can play these for a few days before January first, but then I’m planning on putting them all in my cases and closet them for a year.

Really looking forward to this :grin:

12 Likes

I’m not giving anything up but I will throw a brass fixed axle in my cold fusion and keep it that way for the year. Life without a Bape no way.

3 Likes

I find this tempting…

But I’m not sure I could do it. Perhaps a year of responsive? I could get on board with that.

But kudos to you for it. Stoked to see how it works out for you.

4 Likes

Year of responsive was my other thought. Sticking with one fixed axle and one responsive yoyo. But in the end, I’ve wanted to do the fixed axle for a year for quite a while.

2 Likes

I love the idea. I am very infantile in my skills to a point where I am still learning so much 1A and starting fixed axle play. Something like this I think would be detrimental for me.

This year I am committing to playing everyday and trying something new, both 1A Unresponsive and Fixed axle. It will be a lot tougher than it sounds I think.

Best of luck to you and keep us posted!

3 Likes

Make sure you’re burdening yourself for a good reason. There may be fun or inspirational times to pick up a bearing/unresponsive yo-yo in the next year. Personally, I would need a good reason to limit myself because I could easily focus a year on fixed axle without giving up bearings entirely.

Just looking out for ya man. Do what you think is best!

4 Likes

No worries, I don’t view it as a burden at all

1 Like

This sounds really fun, although I think 1A is my true passion. I might do a much shorter version of this, and dedicate random one week blocks to fixie play during this next year. I would love to get more proficient with a fixed axle yo-yo, there’s just something so… fun about them.

Maybe something like #fixieweek

5 Likes

There is always Fixed Axle February :wink:

4 Likes

I think I’m gonna try this, but reverse the fixed Friday ideology to be unresponsive Friday if that makes sense.

5 Likes

It’ll keep you fresh! Dew eet!

3 Likes

Totally! I also plan on road tripping to Cleveland for my first WYYC, so I’ll make an exception for that as well!

3 Likes

Most of fixed axle is 1A! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Unresponsive 1a

3 Likes

Fair enough. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Nice! Good luck! Looking forward to hearing how it goes. If it was me I’d give myself a cheat day once a week lol.

Here is @edhaponik blog for further confidence. :ok_hand:

10 Likes

Good luck man! Planning to document your fixed axle year in any way?

5 Likes

I’ve not been into videoing in the past, may start, but with a baby time like that is limited. Thought I’d make a new thread here and update or check in along the way with how it’s going, or get support when I want to stop.

3 Likes

Not me, lol. At my ago; I don’t do anything ‘for one year’. I’m not gonna drop dead trying to prove ‘I can do it’.

I think it is Great if you need to prove something to yourself. Or if you genuinely feel a year of concentrated effort at something will make you either better or at least give you a hightened awareness
or skill level.

But I would think the André ‘cheat day’ option would be more the ticket🤓

But more power to anybody that wants to or has to challenge themselves to achieve their goal(s).

I will take just about any challenge that runs into me.

But I don’t challenge myself to focusing fun on one aspect of something that has so many aspects to enjoy.

Variety is the spice of life.

Good luck AaronW. If anybody can do it; you are the guy.:+1:

I think I will order pizza with everything on it for the next whole year.

Once the pie gets to the table; I will pick off the stuff I don’t really like🤓

But I will always order the everything pizza. I know I can do that🤡

6 Likes

Thanks Mo! Not really trying to prove anything, more the “heightened awareness, skill level” is what I’m going for :slight_smile:

4 Likes