Are fixed axle yoyos generally viewed as 'tools'

I’m have a bit of a feeling that people look at fixed axle yoyos as tool more than unresponsive metal.

I just get the impression that most fixed axle players tend to have one or maybe two they really like and don’t really consider that they need or want another, because what they have gets the job done.

I think when it comes to metal unresponsives that people have a far different attitude of chasing different ‘flavours’.

3 Likes

I think fixed axle yoyos are a necessity. I also agree with you that I am usually ok with owning one or two, but after that i do not feel the need for more.

1 Like

I have quite a few wood yoyos. Never enough.

2 Likes

I have all sorts of wood fixed axles and each has their own shape and seems better at doing specific things like metal unresponsives. Kind of like yoyo’s geared for horizontal play, I have woods with higher walls, which is good for various and kick flips, and I have others that are a little wider that are perfect for balances.

2 Likes

One of these days you should pick up one of my Harbingers. People seem to like them.

2 Likes

I don’t think fixed is established enough in the modern scene for it to really be clear.
I think there are players who kind of like throwing one or two main throws (both with metal and wood) and then players who love to have that variety. I’m probably in the former. I definitely like trying out different throws but I tend to go back to my No Jives or eH’s.

5 Likes

I have no beef with wood, the material, but for me it’s sooo soooooo hard to go back from the speed and precision of bearings to a fixed axle.

It’s like going from a fighter jet to a horse n’ buggy … when I feel the need… the need… for speed!

2 Likes

Again, I feel you misunderstand the difference, but I’m not going into that again.

5 Likes

Fixies are fun, I’d like to own one of yours someday. The only fixie I have at the moment is a YYF Legend, and it’s meh. I like to take a break from unresponsive every now and then to play fixie.

I’d also like to own one of your wooden unresponsives. They look awesome! The holidays are coming up…

2 Likes

@smileypants707, dude I love my YYF Legend! I was just throwing it a few moments ago. Sure it’s not the best wooden fixie going but it’s dirt cheap so you can literally take it anywhere with you and not worry about it. It could do with more weight in my opinion, possibly being made from a denser wood like oak would do it wonders. I find you have to break them in before the response evens out and becomes consistent.

I suppose fixed axle throws could be viewed as tools to some extent. I think that playing fixed really does tend to clean up your technique, because you just wouldn’t be able to do much with them without precision and timing. I can honestly say that throwing fixed axles has helped my unresponsive play, it helps with flow and keeping the momentum of movement going. Any unnecessary slack in the string and you will surely know about it!

Sure thay are hard and frustrating to to work with but once you nail a trick like skin the gerbil on fixed (did it nicely just the once!), it’s a great feeling and sense of achievement. They’re also just good fun to throw around and chill with!

5 Likes

I think you hit the nail on the head. It’s not the worst yoyo, but I’d like to get my hands on a different fixie. I feel like a heavier wood would make it feel more powerful, giving just a little bit more time to work with on each throw.

2 Likes

I get this but in reverse, to the effect that I’ve started to interrupt perfectly good unresponsive combos with binds into stalls and kickflips or whatever. I think that’s a big barrier to people playing fixed axle - the difficulty in switching. You can’t reset all of your neural pathways at once, so you kind of have to decide which style to cultivate (or at least which will be your default).

For most players, "default " will be unresponsive 1a and they will play fixed occasionally just to have the feeling - which is fine. That being the case, I get the sense that a lot of 1a players will prefer variety in their unresponsive throws and just keep 1 or 2 fixies on board, kind of to satisfy a quota (even if they really do enjoy them). Among players who throw A LOT of fixed (Aaron W & Jamie Griles come to mind), you definitely have those who have 20+ woodies and love switching between them.

4 Likes

I have always felt it is more like skiing versus snowboarding. Where some people will swear by skis. Everyone thinks snowboarders are technically the cool kids. But regardless you can still do dope tricks on both of them - similar but still very different. And I do still find many people learn to ski before they learn to snowboard. But that isn’t always the case.

5 Likes

Acoustic vs electric instruments is another good comparison. In my case (playing bass) electric and upright have the same tuning and basic idea but they are TOTALLY different instruments and require a different approach. Also worth noting I’ve probably had 20 dif electrics over the years compared with my one upright I bought in 1996.

7 Likes

Oh that is another great analogy.

Another important thing to understand about playing fixed axle - it literally makes you a smoother player. All your moves have to be that much more exact and precise (so that the yo-yo spins long enough and does not accidentally snap back in the middle of a trick). You will find the connection between mount to trick and dismount become seamless and smooth - a new flow is reached. I like to think of fixed axle play leading to better play with unresponsive yo-yos. They are each their own thing but they both can positively influence each other - its a great thing to develop both (and when you are stuck on that unresponsive trick to have something slightly different to work on helps the brain too in my opinion!) :brain:

9 Likes

I Think an important concept to understand when comparing unresponsive yoyos to wooden fixed axles is that the value of something is greater than the sum of its parts.

6 Likes