The birth of Hollywood Modern Yoyos

Hi everyone! Ross here. You may know me as the guy who does big flowy tricks on Instagram, or have seen my products around, most notably ‘mouse pads’ the most affordable premium 19mm yoyo response pads on the market, the melatonin: a pocketable throw that plays big and the Kill Your Yoyo podcast where I interview the best yoyoers of our time about yoyo theory and performance.

Well, recently a lot changed in my life. I graduated college, promptly moved to Hollywood for a new job that I love, and I was finally in a place to really start pumping money into my yoyo business. Once I started looking at the financials and really considering potential risks I came to the conclusion that the name 'ilinx" was going to hold me back in the long run. I want to be one of the large brands that can make an impact on growing the community, not a little hobby operation. Maybe it’s a delusion, but that’s where I’m aiming. Anyway, I would constantly hear people mispronouncing ilinx and I’ve never seen anyone spell it correctly. It doesn’t matter how much I like a name, if I want to make a company that people are going to love, I need to have a name that they can actually spell.

So I made the decision to adopt a new name “helix throws”. Helix was a great name because it would allow me to keep the “ix” that had been my Instagram profile picture for so long, plus the helix/DNA tie-in held all kinds of great branding opportunities (or so I thought). I went on to incorporate and started buying new stock of pads and bearings to put together the best offer in yoyo hardware history.

Then it all fell apart before it started. 3 days before launching my new website and buying ads to push traffic, I got approached by a company that I look up to and was essentially told that my new branding was stepping on their toes. They asked me to stop using my logo. I was upset, but knew I could recover. Then the next day they clarified what they meant and asked me to stop using my name. The cornerstone of the whole operation was pulled out by a single email.

Well, that completely took the wind out of my sails. I’d just spent 6 months rebranding, building an awesome team, and creating a new website. Not to mention the incredible sum of money I’d put in thus far. It’s hard to put into words how this affected me. I spent the next week deeply depressed. I felt like I’d lost everything I’d been working on. My mom told me she’d never seen me that sad and yesterday she told me that ever since that event I haven’t acted the same.

I need to make clear that I hold no resentment towards the company that approached me, they did what they needed to protect themselves. I wish I would have reached out to them before I’d put so much work into the first rebrand.

After that terrible news came through, I searched and searched and found that modernyoyos.com was available. So I bought it. I’ve spent the months since then rebuilding again. I added Hollywood to the name to avoid confusion while allowing me to use modernyoyos.com (for SEO reasons) I had to choose to see this as an opportunity. I changed the confusingly named “mouse pads” to Hollywood Pads. Hollywood pads are just like mouse pads, only even higher quality and even more affordable. Team member Alex created a brand new beautiful logo for the podcast. I got new logos and photos and videos and branding ideas. It’s not just that I had to create new logos, I needed to create a whole new brand identity.

This isn’t a hobby. This is a part-time job that I do on top of my full-time job. I can’t wait to show you what I’ve been working on. Expect posts soon about tutorials, new releases, merch, and breakthrough products that will make you a better yoyoer. Welcome to Hollywood Modern Yoyos.

PS I did a whole podcast episode about this topic which you can listen to here.

32 Likes

This is very exciting, Ross!

I love ilinx mouse pads. They are grippy the way I like and very affordable. I hope the new version of these pads is just as grippy. :+1:

8 Likes

I have Hollywood Pads (OG version :slight_smile: ) in a good few of my throws!! Highly recommended.

We’re with you Ross!! Good luck my friend, excited to be along for the ride.

8 Likes

They actually feel exactly the same! In fact, they’re the same old silicone donuts you all know and love, they just have 3M adhesive now which isn’t actually better, it does the same thing, just inspires more confidence at a glance than the generic adhesive we used to have on some batches.

9 Likes

I hope you keep us posted with your progress.

Good luck, Fos1

6 Likes

Awesome, Ross! I’m glad you turned things around and are on a better path now.

I guess you could say I’ve been a fan of ilinx since I got my first set of Mouse Pads here on YYE a few years ago (I still have a huge bag of them I got later). It’s been cool seeing you grow as a company and a yoyoer over the years (seriously, your style and tricks now are insane!)

I wish you the best and look forward to seeing what you do in the future.

6 Likes

This came at the perfect time. I’m searching around to supplement my maintenance kit. Your price is right and everything looks good. I will be placing an order on payday.

1 Like

So glad to hear it! Looking forward to packing and shipping when it comes through :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I’m so happy you’re doing your thing Ross, from the small things like your equipment package to the large undertaking that is your podcast! You’re doing one of the most underrated things: supporting the community.

I’m sorry to hear that Helix was shot down by another company, seems to be a common enough occurrence sadly but I’m glad you’ve found a new groove!

Driving down to Nationals I was binge listening to your podcast, really made the drive not only informative but also that much easier. Keep doing your thing, hope we can link sometime for a vid!

9 Likes

This year’s nats you’ll get to catch up on all the new episodes! Let’s definitely get together for a vid sometime :slight_smile:

3 Likes

Put in my order for bearings/pads this morning what a great deal! I love your style Ross and wish you success!

3 Likes

Absolutely love everything Ross does. The Caffeine is great and the Melatonin are 2 fantastic throws that will never leave my collection. Mouse pads throw now Hollywood pads are the only pads i use, highly recommend them.
Best of luck Ross and no matter what your name im all in.

3 Likes

This plus the free trick learning resources was a pretty fantastic deal I am very pleased and actually looking forward to the next pad and bearing change

12 Likes

Bumping this to echo some similar sentiments, very impressed with the quality of the pads and bearings. Threw them both in my FYFO a few days ago and I’ve been very happy so far.

The pads are quite grippy initially without being snaggy, which is just what I prefer for many of my throws, and I haven’t noticed much change yet as I break them in. No complaints about the bearings either, smooth as ever.

10 Likes

Thanks for the review! Mind if I use this?

1 Like

Not at all! 2 weeks later and they’re still going strong.

2 Likes