The benefits of each yoyo shape?

You still get surprised every now and then though lol

1 Like

Thats where we trust our reflexes. I know I jerk and wig out from time to time when they sneak up on my. Man, the other day i went to breakaway to trapeze, like ive done a million times, and I missed my NTH finger and I flipped out. My body convulsed hard, my arm spazzed out and I pulled really hard away from it, accelerating the yoyo into my ceiling and gashed it fierce. As soon as it smashed into the ceiling, i cover my head and try to dive out of the way. So ungraceful. Still need to fix the ceiling too haha!

1 Like

I know right? I have this one yoyo that is sketchy as hell when it comes to binding. I actually have to spin a special thicker string just for it.

This one time I tried to do a sky behind with it like Iā€™ve done a million times, it didnā€™t bite on the way up, and on the way down it decided to snag right about waist level. Which sent it flying right up into my eye socket. I literally saw black and blue for several seconds. There have been a couple of other really close calls with that one, in fact that yoyo holds the record in my collection for being the most violent towards me lol

Turning Point Houska Dry

I love the way it plays, and Iā€™ve learned how to work with its sassy personality, but those sketchy bindsā€¦ it definitely keeps me on high alert. I play that one reeeal safe lol

Haha, Ive done this too! Iā€™m glad noone was watching!..

2 Likes

How do you explain the Spectacle?

My opinions are based on mono-metals. Bi-metals are able to have more extreme weight distribution making them possibly play less characteristic of their shapes.

V Shaped yoyos have larger catch zones making them normally better for faster tricks but may not have as powerful spins as other shapes.

W Shapes are a hybrid of the H and the V-shape. W shapes have a lot of rim weight but still a decent amount of center weight. This makes them have strong spins, but still maintain a decent amount of maneuverability. W shapes tend to have large catch zones and normally feel larger in the hand than H or V shapes.

H Shapes have extreme rim weight, so they usually have the strongest spin and longest spin times, but because of a lack of center weight, they can be less maneuverable than H or V shapes.

O Shapes are the enigmas of the group. Because the weight is usually more evenly distributed, they have greater potential to have a unique feel. Normally O shapes are harder to catch on the string but could be fast or slow, rim weighted or center weighted, and light or heavy.

2 Likes

In my head, I have two different O categories. The laid back O, like a Grail or Overture. Then the performance O, like an MC or Monocle (lemme know if you want to sell your monocle) or the Triton, possibly the greatest example ever of the performance O.

2 Likes

I remember seeing a series of tutorials for the type of play called Moebius: where you expand the slip knot that normally keeps the yoyo on your finger and do 1A style tricks with that expanded loop. I thought they were on here, but I didnā€™t see them when I looked a moment ago. Anyway, they recommended using an organic shape for that style when I watched the intro videoā€¦ wherever it was when I saw it.

Looks like they are still here: The Moebius 101: Sunset 1-6-13

Search for ā€œMoebiusā€ to see more.

2 Likes

Thereā€™s also a section under the ā€œlearnā€ tab now. I think it was added in the last year or so.

1 Like

Ok, I missed it when I was glancing through there last. Iā€™m glad itā€™s still there. I messed with it once briefly and found the throwing style of having the loop around two fingers rather uncomfortable, but Iā€™d like to try it again sometime.