The 90's... who was it?

5 Likes

Dale Oliver, founder of Spintastics, had a crew that gave demos to schools. He also had a learning ladder program you could advance through. The Ned Show also did them. I believe they still do.

8 Likes

Thanks! My knowledge is just Smothers Brothers. Then 2010 and Jensen winning worlds I saw on YT which is what made me have to try a yoyo.

The Spintastics program is apparently still operating. It’s called The Science of Spin.

Another one of the demo teams was Team High Performance founded by Alan Nagao.

BTW the Science of Spin has some good yoyo trick tips

2 Likes

The NED Show was the most common I think. Arne Dixon who also does SuperYo runs it.

4 Likes

YoyoPeople…John Higby…Denver Busker Festival…circa1994-95-96.
Greatest Yoyo Demonstrator of All Time!

4 Likes

For me it was fast eddy mcdonald! Back in 2008 he showed up and hella overcharged for these.

Would love to be overcharged for one today, lmk if y’all got lne

8 Likes

We never had any yoyo performance at my school in the 90s. It took myself and a couple of friends to start the trend on the school yard. Fun times :slight_smile:

4 Likes

People that know you throw think you know the history, but I sure don’t. But I knew where to ask :slight_smile:

1 Like

Those assemblies were always the best

3 Likes

We had SuperYo demonstrators visit our school in 2nd and 4th grade which is how I got started. There was definitely no Ned show branding though, this was around 2000/2002. Does or did SuperYo have non-Ned shows? Or did we get like the precursor to what became the Ned show?

2 Likes

I was going to say there was also a SuperYo team going around the midwest around 1999 or 2000 I remember one at a couple of local schools in my area at the time. I was already into yoyoing by then and they were giving out wildcats and turbo treads and I want to say, maybe typhoons as well. The big prize was of course the all-glorious renegade but they were reserved for super special ticket winners and stuff.

Yomega was also doing some small tours around the same time.

3 Likes

Yeah! The Wildcat was one of my first throws thanks to them! I remember pining after the Sonic Spins they had too. Idk if they had Renegades at our shows, I want to say the Sonic Spin was the “top-shelf”/highest-end throw they brought with them, I seem to remember it being in the highest price tier they had.

1 Like

early two thousands on the Ma south shore was Ooch yo from yomega’s territory haha

3 Likes

We had a yoyo assembly in my school as late as 2014, and I’m pretty sure my school still does it every year (idk about covid tho)

1 Like

It was wild back then and also the early 00s was great for yoyos loved it I had all kinds yomega yoyojam. Then Bimetals got me hooked

2 Likes

That guy was quite the clown, lol.

Many years ago, I had this vision I was going to be a looping machine, lol.

And I had heard so much about Fast Eddie, I figured if he used this certain looping yo-yo it just had to be the ‘one to get’.

So I contacted him and told him I would really like to get a pair of his looping yo-yos to get my plan rolling. I told him I was not on a budget. Just give me a number…

He told me about his amazing feats in the looping world… etc…

About a week later I contacted him just to make sure he was alive.

He said he was very busy but would take care of my request very soon.

About a month later, I contacted him again. He said he didn’t forget me. He was just taking care of other things.

About 3 months later, I contacted him and asked what was up? He said he was sorry so much time had passed and told me, ‘Tell ya what I am going to do. I am going to hand pick and hand tune a pair of yo-yos just for you. And…… I am not even going to charge you because this has taken so long’.

I told him I didn’t need anything for free. I just wanted to get some of his famous loopers.

A few months later, I contacted him again and said I would rather pay for yo-yos that I could receive than to never get free yo-yos, lol.

He got a little huffy and told me, ‘I will tune and send you 4 yo-yos because of all this trouble.
He sent me a bill. This must have been 20 years ago.:thinking: I think I sent him about $60 bucks for 4 wooden axle Fast Eddy signature loopers.

About a month later I got them in the mail. In a soft pack with no other padding that looked like the Post Office kicked it all the way from Canada to my house.

Inside were 4 sad, sad looking little yo-yos. Within 60 seconds, 2 of them flew apart. I set up the other 2 and on the very first throw, both side caps flew off one of them in different directions.

The yo-yos had little stickers on them that said Made in Mexico. The axles on All of them had so many splinters, they looked more like little cactus plants.

I still have the 4th one. I keep it at work in my Snapon toolbox. It is a regular laugh, head shaking generator when I look at it now and then. It centers my mind so that no matter how many amazing vehicle reconstructions I accomplish, I can also recognize how Stupid I was for being such a Dolt and trusting that bull-$h……er

He may be one of the best loopers ever. But he runs on hot air…

The end.

I will add a pic tomorrow, once I get to work.

5 Likes

Wow what a story man that’s crazy

1 Like

I think the schools had different ideas about yo-yo demonstrators when I was in grade school, so they kept the Duncan guys away, but I did have the opportunity to see Bunny Martin at a church in the 90s. He did a nice show, classy guy.

2 Likes