The 2019 World Yo-Yo Contest Thread

True, but irrelevant in a conversation comparing the actual competitors.

5 Likes

Just depends on how difficult the element is. If itā€™s behind the back, a difficult regen, a multihook, or a particularly difficult hop, then Iā€™ll double click. On occasion Iā€™ll triple click something really crazy.
Also double slacks and particularly difficult looking rejections.

2 Likes

That sounds about tight.

1 Like

What in actuality is irrelevant; is you misguided decision to conclude there would be any relevance in paraphrasing Dale Earnhardtā€™s view of winning/losing.

ā€¦For Everything/every moment/every headache/every challenge/ every practice session/every single aspect it takes to even get good enough to be allowed to take the stage at the World Yoyo Contest.

ā€¦To suggest that second place is the first loser; is like throwing a bucket of garbage directly into the face/efforts of the 2nd place finisher.

To devalue 2nd to loser status; is what is irrelevant.

I know both the 1st and 2nd place Winners.

I find it offensive to throw shade around.

12 Likes

Sorry, I should have plastered these all over my quote of Earnhardt: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

It was, a joke, son. Every bit as much as quoting Ricky Bobby. Sheesh.

3 Likes

There will always be controversy around who won the contest, how the judges gave it to so-and-so and not the other guy. I seem to remember one of @edhaponik 's 66 rules of yoyo being ā€œnever blame the judges. maintain the attitude that, if you had REALLY won, it wouldnā€™t have been up to them at all.ā€ And of course ā€œdonā€™t set too much store by contest results. at their MOST valid, they give an idea of who played the best for three minutes, on one given day. respect everyone who can get up there with poise and intent.ā€ (quoted from Just a reminder...(66 rules of yoyoing))

So, lets tip our hats to the people who came in first. However, lets also tip our hats to all 300 or so who stood in front of judges and played their hearts outā€¦

8 Likes

Rules to yo by

1. practice more. post less.
6 Likes

Exactly.

2 Likes

To any competitor, 2nd place is losing. You can sugarcoat it all you want if you like, but it just is.

1 Like

Nate really had the crowd on his side and he looked like he was having a blast up there. I really enjoyed his enthusiasm and his choice of tricks. IOW, I really like his style.

I assume the main reason he didnā€™t score higher (than 85.9) was because for many of his tricks the yoyo spent a lot of valuable time traveling between clickable ā€œmomentsā€, limiting the number of clicks he was going to get in 3 minutes.

4 Likes

Does anyone know why Nate didnā€™t use an ND Ultra?

3 Likes

Or a BiND for that matterā€¦ :thinking:

4 Likes

Because itā€™s a good yoyo and still his signature.

1 Like

He used the ND because he prefers it.

Gives a bit of insight as to how much bimetal really matters for competition.

Not much according to Nate Daileyā€¦

ā€¦Or Gentry Stein for that matter.

9 Likes

Worlds was the best. I was so lucky to go and that so many people came from so far away too. I didnā€™t get to speak with everyone I wanted to but I was up till 6:30 am on Sunday throwing, so apparently not enough time lol.

If I can comment on Evanā€™s freestyle, it was a gift to the yo-yo community, he tried (and landed) some tricks up there of his he hadnā€™t tried before, and Iā€™m glad and happy he went for them and Iā€™m sure others can say the same. Hajime melted all our faces with his 4A routine, and IMO kind of hard to talk about making soloham a division if heā€™s the only one doing it lol. I also like the freestyles of Luke Trautwein, Nate Dailey, Patrick Canny, Keiran Cooper, Alex Curfmanā€™s 3a Semi-Finals, Ann Connolly, Janos Karancz had some nice tricks in his 1A semis, so many more too.

The best for me though was throwing with Evan Nagao, Harrison Lee, Remy Baskin, Jakub Plader from Poland, Angelo Aguirre, Cheng (donā€™t sleep on Cheng, he can throw down too), Myles Gregory, Quentin Godet, Californian (Andrew?) who rips with a yo-yo, in a stairwell late after the contest showing some different tricks and doing whatever routines cleanly.

I also got to meet Mark manning the MK1 boutique booth for @MarkD and throw my green Diffraction 2 with other players that just picked theirs up. Mark visiting from the Duncan Store in Disney World was a cool guy and let us try the Diffraction 2 all we wanted and see the different colours in person.

So glad to have a Ti-Vader on hand during the event too, but I brought it to the Basecamp release party which turned out to be a big mistake for maintaining its mint condition status (video below)

11 Likes

REPORTED FOR VIOLENT OR ABUSIVE ACTS!

6 Likes

Also, is this trickā€™s name Walk The dog Flarion?

5 Likes

No, itā€™s not Flarion, itā€™s F-L-A-R-E-O-N

7 Likes

hehe Iā€™m such a pokenoob! >.<ā€™

3 Likes

lol, none of our faces are showing, you have no evidence.

Yeah Walk the Flareon could be a good name for it

3 Likes