The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Nice! :fire:

2 Likes

Just noticed on another site that Yoyorecreation just released a plastic slimline responsive in an extreme high wall design - the 5ive - for $12. Assuming it’ll be coming to yoyoexpert soon? But I think it looks like a plastic version of YYR’s Impact? Extremely slimline. Looks like some of y’all could do some of your magic with it.

@Captrogers has given some pretty thorough reviews on it. For $12 that’s such a great deal. I’m just worried since I have a Mijo Poly already, I’ll inevitably just reach for that instead.

2 Likes

Yeah Sam has them and I would love to see yye get some in. The low price is wild it’s cheaper than some loopers.

I agree with Charlie it’ll probably not get as much play as my el mijo polycarbonate is just better but similar enough I would grab that first but at a fraction of the cost it’s worth adding to the collection for sure

2 Likes

I saw it and went to buy one, but the shipping was another two times the price of the yoyo. :sob:

1 Like

Fixie Arm Grind? Arm Roll? …idk, fun though. Hope you’re having a great Fixed Axle Friday.

Edit: I just found out this is a variation of a trick called “Rollback” where the yoyo rolls down the arm(not to be confused with Rappel, which is similar). Here I do a Rollback then the yo-yo rolls forward back into a Backhand Balance. Rollback and Forward? Ha, idk… Phew, there’s so much to know and keep up with. :man_shrugging:

14 Likes

Hey y’all so I think I made an oopsie :sweat_smile: I used a knife to pick a knot in my butterfly out. I might have hit the axle or something because it broke the next string I put on pretty quick and I usually never break strings. I looked and saw that the axle was indeed kinda scuffed up. I figured I could file whatever was cutting the strings so I brought out a jewelry file and filed the axle. Now it’s breaking strings in like 3 minutes of play. I figured the filing maybe made more friction which is like melting the strings I have. I’m almost out of slick 6 and want to save that for the couple responsive yo-yos I have that really like it and don’t have cotton so this has only been happening with poly. I do have nylon strings I could use also but I heard they’re bad for fixies. Is there anything I can do or do I just acknowledge this butterfly is dead and use it as a learning experience?

2 Likes

I love nylon on fixies with metal axles. I use skyline 3 for all my metal axle fixies.

2 Likes

Friction problems that drive people to cotton are specific to wood and poly, where you could produce enough heat to scorch the axle. That doesn’t happen on metal. You can use any material string on a Butterfly and it won’t hurt the throw.

5 Likes

Take some denim and rub it on the axle for a bit. That should buff the gouges and rough bits out. Or use a sacrificial string (like one of the broken strings to buff the axle)

2 Likes

Half-Mutated Kickflip

7 Likes

Yo either I’m cooking or I lost my mind hah tbd

16 Likes

Yo! FAF might be getting to ya but that’s fun.

4 Likes

While I’ll miss FAF when it’s done, going to continue with the fixie stuff, it’s been a blast! Just modern responsive in general has been a much needed change of scenary with the rut I’ve been in. Also bringing back warm, fuzzy childhood memories.

6 Likes

Horizontal Varial

14 Likes

Wow that’s super cool!

1 Like

fixed axle is for old people (jk)

3 Likes

I resemble that remark especially with my rapidly greying hair.

5 Likes

I found this half-mutated Hans Rocks Stall on a reverse polarity trapeze that doesn’t require pinching the string, and when you flip it and catch the hans rocks loop it drops to trapeze.

11 Likes

Brilliant

1 Like