The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Yeah, it’s possible.

Ok you got me on semantics. Bit it is highly improbable that anything you’ve let out of your workshop would get a mostly negative reception. Your standards are higher than most humans :joy:.

I mean this as a compliment of course.

3 Likes

Yeah, it’s not infallible, but I’ve gotten quite a few free that I would have cut earlier on. I am not talking about pulling on the string. I mean really sharp, fast, hard jerks back and forth.

I was just playing with my Survivalist. Try guiding the yoyo around more than you do with a looper. Slow that part down a bit, less of a snap to it.

2 Likes

Had to post this little short vid with @RC_yo-yo purple zebra fixie. Hard to put it down!

15 Likes

Wow. I’m not as good you, so it’s cool to see my yo-yo do something so amazing.

3 Likes

that little 1.5 suicide thing was sick

4 Likes

It’s branding, if you watch the popcast on it it’s super easy. Took a few takes on a fixie though :joy:. My knuckles did not appreciate it!

9 Likes

god damn it lol, i have 4 doc pop yoyos, but only know one of his tricks (that im aware of), i need to fix that ratio

3 Likes

I’m at a 1 to 1 on that haha

2 Likes

Throwing the Survivalist today. Honestly, I’ve almost spent as much time fishing out the string as playing so I really sympathized with @Almonds experience. I’ve experimented with various string thickness and for me it plays best and snags the least with alphaline or kitty fat, normal actually snagged the most :man_shrugging:t5:. Paying attention to tension and how the yoyo is returning helps a lot, the snags have become less over a week. Im also much better at feeling out if it’s going to snag or if it’s just a temporary hold that I can throw out (like with pocketwatch).

It’s been challenging so far but I’m warming up to it a lot. Returned to the L.Wing and bought a Butterfly this week and it’s given me a newfound appreciation for how my style of play changes to suit the yoyo. Afterwards I did find myself returning to the Survivalist.

Edit: wanted to shoutout this comment which was also helpful in improving my play, as I was makin da zines I slowed down and paid attention to how I was popping it up and over, repeating good form only like I do when practicing loops.

6 Likes

Yeah I hear you. I needed to make the response pretty aggressive to make sure it was reliable for the material used. That can translate to some serious snags at times.

The smoother you play, the less of a problem it becomes. You will definitely get used to it and it won’t occur often.

6 Likes

It’s funny you call it aggressive, the thing punched me in the face and put a small chip in my tooth!

It’s making me more mindful of the these things (string tension, flow etc.) which feels like it’ll only help me improve as a player. All in all I’m having fun with it and the build feels really nice so I’ll take a bit of extra rowdyness in exchange, does feel good to know it’s not 100% me.

2 Likes

Whoa!! :open_mouth: I’m sorry that happened, mate!

5 Likes

The good thing about a Survivalist is that it can take as much as it dishes out. So next time it happens just whip it into the street for its insolence.

3 Likes

I ran over mine with my car for its insolence. Stubborn thing still worked.

6 Likes

I’m curious on yalls preferences on what the “sweet spot” for a fixie is? Like ultra snappy, little more long spin for some 1a elements, or a little of both? I know @edhaponik has often commented that if he can hit spirit bomb then subsequently go into a shoot the moon he feels like his response is right about where he wants it. I’m probably in that same ballpark I like that best of both worlds spot which isn’t always easy to find on a fixie. Anyway I know these preferences are subjective no right or wrong answer just interested to hear some of yalls takes on it

2 Likes

I like snappy for lighter fixies (<60g) and a little more loosey goosey for heavier fixies (>60g). Not many fixies purposefully exceed 60g, so most of mine are nice and snappy.

Edit: this is because heavier to me means more 1a possibilities. And I will say that even though it’s under 60g, the jumbo-two-coasters-on-an-axle that I have from @aironish will also remain loosey goosey because it’s fun as heck!

3 Likes

Just gonna leave this here

7 Likes

EDIT: Designed a matching counterweight, and didnt want to make a new post.

Just about done designing a 3D printed fixed axle and matching counter weight. I’ve done an unresponsive before with the Luftverk spacer kit and that was a blast. @DCorella and I did a big organic yoyo with massive hollow chambers inside to optimize weight distribution. This time I’m working on a relatively simple high walled fixed axle yoyo designed for 0A play.

When approaching the counterweight i started by modifying the actual profile of the yoyo until I had a style that matched visually while maintaining optimal weight for the yoyo. Most counterweights are about 15-19% of the yoyos they’re used with and I designed the counterweight to be about 17% of the total weight of the yoyo.

Yoyo and Counterweight are both going to be printed using Markforged Onyx filament, which is a very strong carbon fiber impregnated nylon; and the yoyo will be using a 1/4" aluminum axle. I think these are going to be a banger, but the only thing I’m not sure about is the size of the response dips (currently 3.5mm x 1mm w/ a angle cut in the bottom). I guess I’ll learn when I get it printed!

Yoyo Specs:
Diameter - 56mm
Width - 32mm
Gap - 2.75mm
Weight - 51-53g

Counterweight Specs:
Height: 30.5mm
Width: 19.9mm
Weight: 8.7g

19 Likes

Episode 2 out now! What is a fixed axle?

4 Likes