The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I’d love to see them pick this up again. Super selfish of me, I know.

4 Likes

Thanks dude

3 Likes

Just hit more varials in one sesh than I ever have, easily hit 6 or 7 tonight. That “spot the landing” tip was clutch

3 Likes

Not selfish. It was just a lot of work to think about how to present 100 0a tricks in a way which made sense, clarified prerequisite skills, etc. We always wanted to keep it mainly about foundational elements rather than ideas stitched together, so we definitely needed to give it some space. I have some ideas for things I could add & may try to revisit it in the new year when I’m doing the 1-yoyo thing. Thx for watching!

13 Likes

You really are a beacon of kindness and understanding. Thanks Ed! We don’t deserve you!

3 Likes

Cheers to that, Ed has helped me when I’ve needed it on my little experiment. I’m planning on doing 3-5 months fixed, making weekly vids with what I learned and what helped me learn it. Show people that even with no experience that you can make it a long way in 0a and that it’s really fun! It was inspired by what Ed did for that year. The company that sponsored me (fair trade yoyos) just had some custom fixies made, and loved the idea when I brought it up to them, so they’ll be helping me along the way. Im excited, practicing about 3-4 hours a day right now

6 Likes

Got my first “serious” fixie, in @Glenacius_K’s new Survivalist, and holy ■■■■ is it incredible. So nice in the hand and on the string.

I have a question about fixie response in general. First off I’m blown away by how long it will spin relative to my greased bearing responsives (weekender, day tripper, deep state, pop art), but it also is snappier on the response too. However, something I noticed in my first fixie, a Butterfly, is that it didn’t respond at all with poly string. I would throw, tug it hard enough to get up to my hand and the string would be wound around the axle but would never bind. This has happened a few times on the Survivalist, but its been rare.

Anyone have tips on how to get the youo to be more reliable? Its not an issue on the Survivalist, but it happens occasionally and its annoying lol.

Photo related

5 Likes

It takes a little while for the walls and the string to speak the same language. If you persist a little longer, it will respond perfectly at neutral torsion.

Another trick is to use a slightly thicker string. This can speed up the process considerably.

3 Likes

Im currently using Ammo, which is quite thick. I use it on all my responsive yoyos. To be fair it has been happening less and less the longer I play.

Not a complaint at all, just was curious. Like I said, I’m actually blown away by the combination of spin time and snappy response in general. Just the occasional rare little hiccup.

Try a thinner string. It’s just about getting the string that works right for you. There hasn’t been a string yet that I can’t get to work exactly as I like it on a Survivalist.

It should love poly string. I don’t recommend cotton for this one.

4 Likes

I’ll keep experimenting, thanks Glen!! I should say its been like 4 out of dozens and dozens of throws, it even happens on my bearing responsives with a new string on occasion lol

1 Like

That cuts deep bro😢

And yes, I will be complaining about missing this drop for THE REST OF TIME.

6 Likes

First time with fixed axle didn’t last very long lol. Got the survivalist in today, and it would be the first fixed axle I’ve played with since maybe 2003 when I didn’t even know what fixed axle was.

After a few minutes of trying to mess with stalls I tried some loops and found that I kept catching the yoyo with the string going the wrong way. Tried replicating it on one of my other 2a style yoyos and couldn’t get it to happen. Seems something about my technique causes it to flip twice or not at all, but only on this yoyo? Couldn’t slow it down enough to tell and the slower throws caused it to bind up really bad and I had to cut out the string with a knife :frowning:

Really cool looking yoyo though, and hopefully I’ll toss on another string sometime after I make dinner.

2 Likes

So after a little while longer of playing, the yoyo is just perfectly reliably responsive. Spins for longer than expected, and just snaps back when you want it to. I’ve been able to land kwyjibo consistently on this, where I just cant on the Weekender sitting on my desk lol

4 Likes

Im so sorry man, hopefully one pops up on the BST and ends up in your hands.

1 Like

If the Survivalist is well received, I will make another run.

11 Likes

Do you honestly believe any other outcome is possible?

3 Likes

The Survivalist is not a 2a yoyo. It has a bit of a butterfly shape and therefore more weight to the outside. That means it’s harder to flip than your 2a yoyos. You can loop with it (I have a proto), but it will take a bit more practice with it to get it to happen.

Yeah, that negative response is no joke when it grabs the string like that! Before resorting to cutting up your string, try gripping the yoyo tightly, and pulling the string in sharp jerks back and forth, parallel with the gap. I haven’t gotten them to come loose every time, but many times I have.

4 Likes

This. The large holes in the walls that act as response tend to gobble up string a little when a return goes wrong, or if torsion is too tight.

1 Like

I tried quite a bit before deciding to cut it. Started with a wood pick to see if I could get anything to loosen. Then I would pull it one way then the other way trying to get it to budge. I believe what I was doing matches up pretty well with what you’re saying, but thanks for the advice. Even with the knife it seemed quite tough to dig the string out of the gap.

I suppose it could’ve been an axle knot, but it just looked like the string was over top of itself and just very tight. I’ve had it happen with 2a yoyos occasionally without it being an axle loop, so I assumed it was that same situation. Since I cut it to bits I was never able to tell for sure.