The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Anyone know this yoyo? It’s from the 90s, and plays better than any yoyo from that era I’ve used. I actually like it for 0a sometimes.

4 Likes

Does anyone know if there are any good POM fixed axle yoyos out there?

I know there is the Gates Hubbard, but is that one good?

Square wheels missing link maybe? I don’t know what it was for sure, but it was white plastic of some kind :laughing: don’t think it ever got released, but my memory is less than reliable so who knows.

1 Like

Yeah, I know of the Missing Link. It was meant to be a signature for Kyle Nations but was never released. It wasn’t a good yoyo but it was interesting.

I had a chance to try the Hubbard at the “Yoyo Meetup” (quotations because it was only one friend and myself). Unfortunately, I never picked that one up.

I’m not sure if he’s on here, but I ask him what he thinks…

1 Like

Hildy had the Emmett. The Missing Link was cool, it just performed more like a responsive bearing yoyo than a fixed axle. But they were primarily acrylic, I had a delrin version, but was told it was more rare.

3 Likes

A relative found this at a thrift store and gave it to me. It plays great for modern responsive.
Anyone know anything about this yoyo?

13 Likes

The Dragon Fly, from memory, was a rebranded ProYo/Playmaxx Bumble Bee. I can’t remember all the details why they had to rebrand it.

5 Likes

Duncan bought Playmaxx, and this may have been the lone brakepad yoyo to come of that?

I remember writing a ridiculous post on Dave’s about Duncan doing away with most/all brakepad designs. I don’t know how @unklesteve didn’t lose his mind at the time!

I even remember the title, “Marketing Magic”.

5 Likes

Do you remember why they didn’t keep the Bumble Bee name at first? I remember them buying Playmaxx, and they eventually did rerelease the Bumble Bee. Was the Dragonfly first, then they did it as the Bumble Bee, or am I just getting old and forgetting things? :joy:

2 Likes

I don’t remember either!

I think I have a Dragonfly still in the package somewhere. I didn’t even know or remember it had brakepads. I just bought it, and never opened it for some reason.

3 Likes

Worth giving it a throw. I was so pleasantly surprised!

2 Likes

They kept Bumblebee as well (and dropped the turbo in the name).

Dragonfly was to differentiate the GT version. They were both available from Duncan at the same time. :slight_smile:

(There was also the Duncan ProFire at the same time, which was the same name as the Playmaxx version - just a brass transaxle BumbleBee - and much later the Ignite which was a BumbleBee w a wooden technic axle.)

7 Likes

Yes! Thanks Ed! Knew someone would remember. I had a bunch of the Playmaxx Bumblenee’s and GT’s. So I didn’t pay attention to when Duncan bought the company.

I still remember getting my first Bumblebee GT. Had been playing a Tornado and Bumblebee for awhile before that. The extra “gap” on the GT was huge!!! My friends and I couldn’t believe how easy tricks were with it :rofl:

OG’s

10 Likes

Excited to add a beautiful oak Freemont to my TMBR collection

14 Likes

Mine came in the mail today. Can’t wait to get off work and see how it plays.

1 Like

These new axles Colin designed are fantastic you won’t be disappointed

Where is there info about the new axles?

3 Likes

Most of the info I followed came casually from Colins post off the TMBR Instagram as he went through his process of designing them. As far as I know these are the standard axle he will include on all models going forward. The change in shape he said is very subtle kinda a soft V instead of the straight H you might think of with a standard axle but the increase in overall response performance is noticeable

2 Likes

I can see how this could work. It shifts the response more towards axle dependency rather than wall dependency. It also brings it closer to the loop which is the most effective place for immediate response.

2 Likes