The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Im guessing you are talking about the heelflip? I havent tried that at all yet. Im gonna try more at the regular two-handed kickflip tomorrow. Im so close!

I was going to make a video for the fixie comp, but I still don’t think im ready yet. Ill make one next year. A month of straight fixie wasn’t enough to make a video.

1 Like

No, I meant I can hit them if I swing the yoyo out and away from me, but not if I try to do the exact same motion sideways across my body. My thumb and finger like this U verses Ɔ (I’m right handed).

Kickflip to Lunar - Trapeze Stall flipped to one hand thumb stall (Lunar Landing)
Lunar Flip - one hand thumb stall flipped to the same mount

5 Likes

What’s it called if you Lunar and Kickflip to a Trapeze Stall?

BTW, I am so glad that the second word that used to be more often included with Kickfilp seems to be dropping away.

1 Like

Got annoyed with dump trucks… Starting to get the hang of Stop n Pops after a few smashed knuckles :slight_smile:

1 Like

I usually call that Lunar Landing, Kickflip out.
Kind of default to skate jargon when possible lol.

Interesting that when what we think of as the Suicide was invented it called “Suicide Catch” and it was part of a bigger Paul Escolar trick called Hitchiker. Back then with responsive yo-yo’s it would have a tendency to bite in the middle and smack you - that and it’s similarity to diabolo suicides gave it the name. NOW unresponsive yo-yo’s are usually too forgiving to snag on that trick and of course fixed axles often aren’t even spinning, so they can’t. I think it got shortened to Kickflip just for convenience, and because what Drew invented led to a whole dimension of tricks which have nothing to do with Paul’s trick besides the loop. It’s fun to look at how tricks and their vocabulary evolve.

5 Likes

Great stuff! :slight_smile:
I have recently been hitting regular kickflips and gradually getting more consistant. It is soooo satisfying isn’t it? :slight_smile:

5 Likes

My birthday gift to myself came in today - the Moonshine 2! This thing has some weight but it’s a joy to play. It’s width feels comfy in the hand Landed some of my first Stop n Pops on it too!

Out of the box I did have to lube it up a bit as it was not responsive enough for me but now it’s great!

Interesting design choice to have half solid and half fade but I like it. The fade aids me in seeing how much it’s spinning while having a solid half shows me which way it’s facing when I’m doing things like planet hops or plane changing tricks like kickflips.

Update - Lunar landings are pretty easy with this now (thanks to its width) that I got to try it for a few minutes since writing this post. I also did 1 dump truck. Wasn’t pretty but the width helped it change plans easier than a slimline.

4 Likes

Had hopes in filming a successful stop 'n hop but it needs work before I decide to get behind the camera again (recording tricks still builds up that rage level as I continuously miss). This said, I had still been refining zipper stall-like moves. I also love doing tape measures on the Moonshine as it feels like it just glides in the hand. So why not do both (and work on my form)? And I just now noticed I always seem to end my 0a stuff with a last little regen/zine just to give it some flare :slight_smile:

7 Likes
7 Likes

Got the crossarm catch down.

5 Likes

STOP :clap: MAKING :clap: THE :clap: REST :clap: OF :clap: US :clap: LOOK :clap: BAD :clap:

3 Likes

between him and ed dude… man!

3 Likes

Right!? I mean I’m not the worst, but holy moly they’re on another level of finesse I can’t even fathom. My wife tells me I can’t 0a so good because I lack delicacy. Per usual she is correct. Maybe one day I’ll stop guzzling coffee and be able to relax enough and hit one of the finer examples EOS and Ed are putting in the universe.

4 Likes

my wife tells me i’m doing great no matter what i’ve decided to tie a knot around that day… i guess they’re both wrong :rofl:

2 Likes

Hah! Yeah she only says things like that when I ask her if it looks wrong. Like she was watching Ed do the Bowlarama way back when I first started trying out fixie things, then watched me do it, and said “what did that yoyo ever do to you?” Clearly the banana hands aren’t helping, lol.

3 Likes

your wife is hilarious!

4 Likes

I put a ring on it for a lot of reasons, but her sense of humor is definitely top 5.

3 Likes

mine too… mutual tolerance of each other is top 2 i’d say

3 Likes

I have just two tricks left to post and that’s gonna be all my 0A content for a while :cry:

1 Like