The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

Never has there been a more apt meme.

Farewell, @Jerrod, sweet prince

:saluting_face:

Until next time (maybe tomorrow? :sweat_smile:)

4 Likes

Thanks everyone :purple_heart:

I’ll be around. I just feel like pursuing other interests at the moment like 5A and kendama, maybe something different tomorrow idk, just feeling a little burned out on the fixie grind. I’ll probably pick it back up in the future.

11 Likes

Maybe another guest appearance in FAF 2025???

9 Likes

Oh yeah, absolutely!

9 Likes

I got a Duncan butterfly yesterday as my first 0a yoyo. Is it supposed to be slightly unresponsive? It works most of the time, but it seems inconsitent. It sleeps well, I can do some short string tricks with it, but then I can’t get it back.

Are there any common mods people do to these things?

Is this just a skill issue? For my 12 or so years in the game I actually have never done 2a/0a.

6 Likes

I put chapstick on the string by the axle for mine. That works well and gives me the response I like. have fun yo 0a is super fun

2 Likes

this is normal for a butterfly. I usually play with kitty xl string and get alot of torsion on the string to grip the axle tighter for more response on late returns with low spin. downside is string is not neutral for kick flips and such. at some point i guess i’ll have to try Chapstick, i just don’t want gunk on my nice fixies.

2 Likes

I like to use Kitty Fat on my butterflies. Once you get all the stretch out and break it in, it has great response.

2 Likes

Cotton string in type 8 or higher works great. I use Kitty Fat a lot too but it requires some maintenance. What I do is wrap the string around the axle(twist open the loop and then twist the loop and wrap around the axle) 1 to 3 times depending on the desired response. The string will break in over time and you can take away wraps to adjust the response. Sometimes I want more response, sometimes I want less depending on the trick. Chapstick may work well too, but I’ve never tried it.

6 Likes

Worse case to start you can double loop your string as well. Chapstick on the loop can help. Thicker string. Cotton string can catch better than poly. Various small changes can make it better

4 Likes

In addition to what @Jerrod said, I usually just crank up the torsion for the first 5 minutes of play and then I’m able to back it off after the string breaks in.