The 0A Thread (Fixed Axle & Modern Responsive)

I like my strings thin.
The cotton I use a bit thicker so a 6ply string is equivalent to a 8ply of regular cotton. But thickness varies a huge amount with each colour so some feel like 6, others like 8 while being made the same way

3 Likes

Mystics to GT from 2or0, and popping up into a string segment to initiate a Late Varial with that segment. Happy Fixed Axle Friday. Hope you have a good one.

11 Likes

fun little spinny spanky thing
happy FF!!!

10 Likes

I can do that!

9 Likes

Finally found my matching lil beeb.

Here’s a little something something.

11 Likes

my daughter wins find of the week! I’m cooking dinner, she comes in kitchen and is like “daddy, look what i found in my toys”. not sure where it came from but it must’ve been from before i knew/cared about yoyos. time to learn a new style!

15 Likes

ok fixie sages, i need help. can’t get this damn thing to sleep, like even for a second. it keeps snapping back super responsive. i checked and string isnt double wrapped or anything. does it need a break in? should i change what I’m assuming is the stock string? or does it even matter? i was thinking i need a tiny bit of play in the axle loop but maybe not :man_shrugging:

I’ll ask a silly question is the stock string cotton or Polly. I would swap the string with fresh cotton and if that doesn’t help take a sacrificial string and rub it in the gap a few times to smooth it out a tad to make it less responsive.

Maybe previous you used chapstick or something to make it loop or easy to stall or something. Just a few thoughts that come to mind.

It could also just be an old greasy string

1 Like

Are you sure this isn’t one of those yo-yos that pin the string in with the axle? If that’s the case it will never sleep. I forget what that was called.

1 Like

Pegged. Even if it is cut the string out and you can use it like a regular YoYo

4 Likes

def seems like cotton

ill see if i have any cotton. i think i have at least one somewhere

nah this was never used. I’m sure it was either a stocking stuffer or party favor but it has just been sitting in her toy box for lord knows how long

I’m sure. i took the string off when i was checking to make sure it wasnt double wrapped.

thanks for the suggestions, I’ll keep working on it and I’ll see about new string and softening up the gap with old string or some fine grit sandpaper

That looks to me like one of the remakes they made. I’d bet the axle is too rough. Those remakes don’t have any QC in my experience. More for show.

2 Likes

Triple sure it’s not from tight tension? Sorry if this seems stupid but fixies can be quite sensitive to that

2 Likes

If that’s the case it can be smoothed out just need a sacrificial string to wrap around the axle and rub back and fourth a dozen times or so.

1 Like

it def has to be a remake. zero chance it’s original. im workin on sanding and new string while i watch tv. I’ll report back

edit: welp only used 1500 but now ive got zero response. guess you’re right and this one just doesnt wanna be a player. bummer

2 Likes

I bet this would be a great player if you disassembled it, gave it an 8 card gap, and maybe hit the walls with some 220.

1 Like

I was thinking the same thing but wasn’t sure how much effort the guy wants to put in

i mean arent we duty bound to make anything throwable if its within our power to do so? I’m sure i read it in the code somewhere :grin:

cut the axle?

not sure what you mean

1 Like

Is the axle glued in on those or just press fitted? By 8 card gap I mean you adjust the gap of the yoyo to be the width of 8 playing cards stacked.

not sure about the axle. i assumed it was glued. if it was press fit itd wiggle loose without too much trouble if i pry at it right? also looks like the gap is already exactly 8 cards thick

2 Likes