That “other” yoyo site…

Never ordered from ‘Nonoyation’ before but it was my go to forum on a daily basis back when I started throwing ‘seriously’. Was mostly a lurker though, I’ve a forum account on there that dates back to 2006. I hope that even if the store closes though, the forum stays alive or at least a majority of them come to this forum. My first yo-yo forum was actually ‘YheTo.com’ and it’s now largely inactive. A shame, really.

Actually, yheto isn’t inactive. I use my account there. You should too.

Well, they, like YYE, had an issue with security compromise on their credit card transactions. Hard to say where it was, as I find problems ALL the time with stuff like that as part of my day job ad so I’m not at liberty to say what I do exactly. I haven’t been bothered enough to do a deep analysis of that location(as they aren’t gonna pay me for it, why bother). But, rather than fix it, they are choosing to just go “old school” about it to resolve the security problem. The real fix for online transactions is going to cost money. not necessarily a lot, but it does have costs.

YYE chose to fix their issue. Others chose to not.

I recently did a sizable order from “the site in question”, mainly since I couldn’t ignore then 20% off. Sorry, YYE! But hey, I also placed a slightly larger order at YYE the same day. I mean, it’s about saving money, right? Yoyos aren’t exactly commodity items, but given a choice of 20% or not for the same item and the color I want… well, my hands are tied! I did pay for both using Paypal. Neither place had an issue with paypal and security for payment on orders.

But, just as is life and everything else, things can change. At my in-laws first location, they had been doing fine for 12 years, but then suddenly that area just took a dive. Everything moved out or changed and the management turned into real jerks and that little shopping center went to crap fast. Fortunately, they had a second location and just migrated everything to the second location. Some businesses have been around a long time and suddenly just tank.

Even if the shop ceases to exist, I do hope that at least the forum will continue. While I feel YYE is the better of the two and is my “online yoyo home”, I don’t wish any ill will on any company. I do however wonder how much room there truly is for online yoyo merchants in the very niche yoyo community.

True…nonoyation was very slick when it first came around…and I think they did deal some damage to older on-line yoyo shops when they started up…I remember a few going under…they looked old…stock photos…poor font choices…nono saw an untapped market…others have followed nono’s lead…it was inevitable …I don’t think YYE would be here if not for them…for a time they were the shop where every new yoyo dropped…but now…manufactures have started to spread the love around….they made their millions…getting robbed may have just been the icing on the cake….

You’re right. Inactive isn’t the correct word to use. Less active would be more appropriate.

Well, they said [Weber, to be exact] that they are hoping to come back up by the second half of the year after all the bumps and cracks have been smoothened out due to slow activity in 2010 and 2011. I do feel bad for the other site. YYE and JD’s store have been doing better as of lately. I do hope that the other site will come back up and compete against the big guys again. Competition is good, after all.

But speaking of that, isn’t the UK branch doing better than the US counterpart?

And seemed like it just went downhill after Pat moved to the PH =[

I agree, it went downhill after Pat left…it sucks, caus all the San Antonioan throwers went there to post meets…I even traded with Paul Escolar there…really nice guy. Ima miss that site, just for the memories.

Well…I never even gave the other site a real chance. I agree with the comments about the archaic layout, always “out of stock,” and such. It never drew me in, not even for a second. I think I signed up on the forum just to research a username for a B/S/T transaction. I never posted on that site, and never bought from their store.

I support this site for a number of reasons. One of them is very simple, it has the best selection of yo-yos and colors out there. Also, it’s a local business here in Massachusetts, so I support it all the way. I’m a fan of the man behind the business, so I want him to continue to do well. The customer service is second to none, and you can tell when someone lives and breathes this stuff, and it’s not just a job.

I’m a bit old fashioned, so part of me still wants to be part of a loyal customer base… If YYE was publicly traded…I’d buy some stock. I believe in the brand.

I did the same thing … other than YYE all the way :slight_smile:

Sorry for the necro, but YoYoSkills just announced that NoNoYation is closing “temporarily”. This sounds like “closed for remodeling” in similar situations. Meaning death knell.

Just to give some historical perspective, when I got back into yo-yoing in 1999-2000 the “hot” online stores, at least in the USA, were David Hall’s Skilltoys.com, Greg Cohen’s gogoyuy.com, and ExtremeSpin.com. Both Skilltoys and ExtremeSpin are no longer around, and gogoyuy is only a shadow of its former self. Yheto came along and attracted a following, but the owner of the associated store died and the mantle passed to NoNo. Now it has passed to YYE. The forums for defunct stores do seem to hang around, but after awhile participants tend to drift where the action is.

1 Like

So i should spend the gift card i have for Nonoyation quickly?

You can’t spend the gift card now. They don’t have any stock since the clearance ended today and I don’t think you can even get in the store now.

But they put up a new topic saying that the store will return in force soon.

Yes, if you still can!!!

Looking forward to the comeback of the other site. Healthy competition is healthy. Between YYE, JD’s store, and the other store, more competition is healthy for the economy :]

Sad to say but I belive the “other site” is definitly going down. I tried to like yoyon but EVERYTHING was out of stock but one very good thing is that if I wanted to check the specs on a yoyo I went there first. I think I ordered from them 4-5 times in the past 2 and a half years.

It is just a cycle though, like somebody said before that yoyon was not that popular a while ago and then it hit its hayday and now it is on its downswing.

It’s really not a guessing game. They said outright, today actually, that they’re in the process of restocking the store. I doubt that means they’ll be running full swing in a month, but I also doubt they’d post that if they weren’t actually expecting to return to business.

When they started operating they were a burst of fresh air in the yo-yo community, much like YYE is now - better layout, better forum, etc.

I honestly can’t see a turnaround unless they do a complete revamp. It’s not just about having items in stock, they’d need to do a complete redesign of the entire site and forums (and moderators), and give us a fresh reason for wanting to spend our money there rather than here.

YYE is a great place now, and I don’t see any of us leaving unless there is a very, VERY good reason.

I think a few yo-yo stores is good, but when new sites are popping up on the fly, that offer nothing new, and are run by people who don’t have a clue about yo-yos, they are just in the way.

What is “Nonoyation?” By chance, are you guys referring to Yoyonation?

[Facepalm]