Tell us about the CLYW Beater

Please. Particularly desired is the perspective of folks who actually like organics.

For example, points of comparison could be Peak, Grail, MCMO, OG Puffin, Overture. How does the Beater play compared to those?

PS there is really a void of seriously nerdy yoyo reviews a la Sniffy-Yo and Highspeedyoyo. Miss them.

8 Likes

Loved it so much I had to get two! I picked up the clear one at Nats (I usually always opt for the clear version of a throw if it’s available) but always regretted not getting the purple (it’s the best and most rich looking purple I’ve ever seen on a yoyo) so I picked one up when they dropped on CLYW’s site. The purple is for throwing at home over carpet and the clear is to use as a real Beater.

I would say out of all of the yoyos you mentioned, it’s by far the most similar to a Peak in feel and play. IMO it feels more like a Peak 2 than the actual Peak 2 does lol. I can best describe the play as a refined Peak. It doesn’t feel as clunky or heavy, and the newer machining and 7075 give it that refined feel. Look at the striking similarity between the two in this photo tho…

It doesn’t have the performance of the MCMO, and it isn’t as light as the Grail but it’s good ol fashioned organic fun. The double rim is extremely fun to thumb grind on also. The last thing I’ll say is don’t let that weight fool you - it’s listed as 66.8g but definitely feels like a nice, round 65g for sure. If you’re looking for something that brings the best of the old/mid school organic yoyos while combining it with slightly modern features (schmoove groove, 7075) this is your guy. I totally keep mine handy in the throws that sit on my table. I really think in the future, it could turn out to be a standout organic amongst what has become a sea of them. Knowing how much you like the Peak @beezy, I think you’ll have no problem liking this as well.

18 Likes

Rad! Thanks for the thoughts on the Beater, Spence! The comparison with the Peak is really enticing. Do I actually need another Peak? No. But I’m certainly interested in refinements of it like the Beater seems to be. I also keep forgetting that it’s 7075. Yes sir, consider me on board for this one. EDIT: I like your description of the weight. Sometimes the Peak can feel a bit heavy. A 65g feel is good.

3 Likes

That purple looks great! And so does the clear, I see why you had to get both. I’m looking forward to getting one eventually.

2 Likes

Plugging this

7 Likes

Couldn’t say how it compares since I put weight rings in my from the get go but here are some comparison pics (beater, peak 2, puffin, life, Ti peak)

5 Likes

Beater is really great, real old school organics vibe, as an organics fiend it’s a must have

1 Like

To piggy back off this thread, what is everyone’s favorite CLYW organic? Has the Beater taken this crown for you if you have one?

The Beater kind of seemed to me like a wider and less outer rim weighted Canvas. With the Canvas being one of the most expensive CLYW models that most people won’t get to try, is the Beater an acceptable substitute?

I’ve been wanting to try an organic from CLYW but between the Gorge, Ditch, Peak 2, Creep, Canvas, and now Beater, it’s tough to pick which one to go for. I tend to prefer higher walls and more narrow widths on my organics so the Peak 2 seemed a bit off putting with the response step. The Ditch and Gorge both seem nice but too extreme in their big/small diameters. The Beater at a glance seems a too wide for my taste, and I’d prefer a Canvas, but the price of the Beater is much easier to swallow. And if the Beater feels nicer in play maybe the Beater is just the best pick for me.

It’s hard to pick though because maybe I’d love the Peak 2 and just writing it off based on the profile is a mistake.

1 Like

I think for me it might have, and if it hasn’t, it might soon take that crown. I’d say the Peak 2 is the best organic performer from CLYW, but it’s not my favorite. And to me, the Creep has the best feel, but it’s not the best performer. The Beater is the best of both worlds IMO… you get surprisingly great play/performance and super classic/comfy feel. It’s not the best of either, but it’s the best combination of both of those things. Plus, like I said in my post above - it feels super nice and well refined cause of the 7075. And I must add that it is absolutely one of the most dead smooth yoyos I’ve ever used.

True. I barely touch my Ditch.

I’ve never picked it up and thought about the width.

It feels good! Also the Peak 2 doesn’t get enough love and is often the victim of undeserved criticism (which I have admittedly been guilty of in the past), simply due to the name it has to live up to. If it had a different name, I promise people would universally love it for what it is.

3 Likes

Thanks for the write up! Based on this maybe I should seriously consider a Creep. As dumb as it sounds, worse performance is kind of what I want out of an organic. I don’t want it to be too stable, I want it to be able to tilt off plane easily, and I don’t want it to just keep on spinning through mistakes and sloppy play. I like organics that feel rewarding when you can get through your combos on them, but ones that don’t feel like the yoyo itself is limiting you. The Ditch seems like it’d just push that challenge factor too far and end up being more frustrating than fun.

If I just wanted the organic hand feel while being able to easily handle all of my tricks, I’d just play a Borealis 1 or something.

2 Likes

Get a grail if you dont have one.

2 Likes

Creep is tops and there are a few floating around on the BSTs right now.