Take apart Spinworthy Question

Could any of you that have one of my wooden take apart Spinworthies please tell me how yours is holding up?

5 Likes

How many are there out in the wild?

2 Likes

We’re these the ones with the magnets?

8 Likes

Maybe 10 or so.

3 Likes

There’s no other fixed axle take apart system like this one. I’m fairly pleased with it.

5 Likes

I have to say it looks really cool. I like the response zone contrasting with the body, I’m sure they play great.

4 Likes

Thanks, mate! Yeah the response zone is similar to TMBR in that it is endgrain friction based. It feels and plays differently to regular Spinworthy.

5 Likes

Mine is holding up just fine, and I’m throwing it a bunch these days.

2 Likes

Oh my god I am intrigued but this must take ages to make!!!

Glen is pretty cool but I didn’t know he was god…if he was it would be easier to get more of his awesome YoYos I’m sure

2 Likes

Will you be making more? Before you had shown disinterest in them, because you said take aparts would always be inferior to the glued designs.

Yeah they do take quite a bit longer.

1 Like

I can make more and I’m pretty tempted to, but it really is a slow process (slower than usual).

I just wanted to have my own system that was better than those already available. I think I managed that. I considered it a box ticked and moved on.

They are actually pretty smooth spinning most of the time, but not every time. Every one I’ve made has spun within what is reasonable for a fixed axle though.

I just think that glued in designs are better from a performance and ease of production view.

3 Likes

What is the benefit of the glued in different wood thing?

The glued in inner wall was part of the method of securing the nuts into the halves but I intentionally used end grain orientation to function as the response system.

I have seen no other take apart fixed axle model where the hardware is inserted from the inside of each half. I wanted this so it wouldn’t limit what I can do with the faces of my yoyos. I can still make models with dimples in the faces with my method. In fact, if you out a take apart KNack and a regular glued one right next to each other, you won’t notice a difference. See picture.

If you look carefully at old TMBR models, Tom Kuhn and Hildy brothers which are take apart, the hardware is always inserted from the outside, sealed in with a cap of some description.

6 Likes

I’m glad to hear it. It really should hold up for years. All the parts are secured very strongly with epoxy, which is stronger than the wood itself. I just havent had one in posession long enough to to test it long term.

I had one kid who managed to destroy his, but he cranked it and cranked it WAY beyond what was needed. That amount of force would have killed an aluminium yoyo.

3 Likes

That is actually super smart!! Great stuff! Im always so impressed when folks innovate like this!

1 Like

Did the original eh have inserts installed from the inside? Might be wrong.

I like the idea of your end grain design. Is the end grain response system replaceable? And did you make the axles yourself? Very swish and inventive!

2 Likes

Ooh maybe! Can anyone who has an original eh confirm?

I’ve sent Colin of TMBR a message asking him, but he doesn’t seem to care much for the likes of me.

@edhaponik Could you answer the question and perhaps share a picture or two of your eh opened up?

1 Like