Spinworthy take-apart options poll

As I said in another thread, I’m going to start making take apart fixed axle yoyos.

Which style would you prefer?

• Wood thread system (not identical to TMBR’s)
  • Metal inserts in each half joined by an axle with a wooden sleeve (similar to Hildy Brothers and TK No-jive.

0 voters

1 Like

Now I have to ask… Is my NoJive supposed to have a wood sleeve?!

Edit: I will ask in the TK thread.

2 Likes

I like all wood, the weight feels nicer!

3 Likes

Agreed!

There are two reasons why I haven’t done take apart designs before:

1. Metal parts throw the weight of a yoyo out.
  2. They never spin as smoothly because they aare more complicated and the halves are not lined up perfectly.
2 Likes

Yes it is meant to have one.

You weren’t just kidding by any chance?..

1 Like

I was not but then I took my NJ apart again and found that it was super dirty and not discernable as wood.

1 Like

How important is smoothness in fixie play anyway? It’s not like you’re trying to throw as hard as possible to get as much spin time as possible. Vibe (or lack thereof) just isn’t really a factor, is it?

3 Likes

If you want to do string tricks on a fixie, then smoothness does kinda matter. Vibe can really kill the spintime of a fixie. But only in this instance.

2 Likes

What are the pros and cons of each system? I want to vote but I find myself unable to do so since i don’t know what I’m choosing.

2 Likes

I kinda got the impression that doing 1A tricks on a wood fixie was akin to doing 2A tricks on a competition bi-metal. Possible, but not what its really designed for. Am I wrong about that?

The pros of metal inserts and and axle i that it will not fly apart on you in play. Both the axle and the wooden sleeve are replaceable if you need to. You can also adjust the gap with different length wooden sleeves. The con of this is that if you tighten it too much you can crush the wooden sleeve.

The wood thread axle advantage is that there is not the extra weight that the metal parts can bring. There is no another advantage as far as I know.

1 Like

You’re not wrong about that. Well, mostly anyway.

Wooden fixed axle tricks are the beginnings of 1A if you go back far enough.

Actually you’re right. I personally just prefer a fixie that´s also smooth.

1 Like

I think a Survivalist with metal inserts and wood sleeve would be the thing! Or even just screw apart with the aluminum axle. It plays really nice with the aluminum.