Supernova vs Space Cowboy

How do each of the Supernovas compare to the Space Cowboy? If I’m not mistaken, there are like three Supernovas…

Supernova is the non bimetal version of the space cowboy basically. A little bigger and a bit less stable.

I have a mini Tyler Severance collection so I’ll give you my view on each one.

So in the “Supernova series” there is; the 7075 supernova, the nova, the 2013 supernova, the SEVERE, and the Space Cowboy. Even though the Space Cowboy doesnt have “Nova” in its title its still in the series.

So I’ll start with the nova. The Nova is an undersized supernova. It has INCREDIBLE spin times. It rivals some high end yoyos and it extremely zippy. If you enjoy small fast yoyos, the nova is for you.

The 7075 Supernova is the older model supernova. It has a bit of a smaller cup than the 2013 model and is made of 7075. The denser grade aluminum gives this yoyo a more solid feel and slows it down just a tad in comparison to the 2013 one. The spin times are good, but nothing worth raving about. It is extremely stable. and is great for learning 5a since the 7075 makes it stronger in case you drop it or the counterweight dings it. (*Personally I always use 7075 yoyos for 5a for that reason)

the 2013 supernova is more of an upgrade to the 7075 model. YYF used 6061 aluminum which makes the yoyo faster and more floaty. But they increased the cup size and sharpened the shape of the yoyo. This allowed the supernova to be faster without sacrificing stability. Because the cup was increased in size and pushed out to the rims more, the 2013 model has better spin times but due to 6061, can be dinged or scratched.

The SEVERE is the plastic version of the 2013 supernova. It has the same sharp shape but made of delrin so its a good budget option. Since you didn’t ask about it, there isnt much to talk about here.

Now the Space Cowboy is a combination of both the 7075 and the 2013 model. It feels solid on the string and you can feel it hit the end of the string when you throw a breakaway but it has the crazy speed of the 2013 model. Its evem more durable than 7075 due to the stainless steel rims, but is light due to the 6061 core. It has spintimes that outmatch both models, its stability outmatches both models. So you have all the benefits of a light yoyo (ie speed, maneuverability, floaty-ness,) and all the benefits of a denser yoyo (ie. spin times, stability, good control feeling) without any of the negatives.

1 Like

Cowboy’s been my favorite yoyo since Christmas.