Sunday Conversation #3

Back at it with another Sunday Conversation topic!

What was the first yoyo video/routine/advertisement etc you can remember that made you re-think what was possible with a yo-yo? One that made your jaw drop. Feel free to post a link of that video if you can cuz Id love to watch them!

Mine was ‘The Letter Blue’ by Guy Wright. When I saw this video for the first time as a kid I just could not believe any of that was possible with a yo-yo. His relaxed yet innovative style and tricks are something I’ve always admired and wanted my own style to be like.

7 Likes

If this doesn’t make you immediately make you think horizontal is awesome I don’t know what will. I think a lot of new people are just immediately captured by play like this. Although I’m kinda new so I wasn’t really looking at the actual OG speed players like Mickey. Just wound up watching some newer vids from C3 and this one stood out a lot.

I’ve only gotten worse at horizontal since and I’ve only been increasing my string length and slowing down the speed of my play the longer I play yoyo :smiling_face_with_tear:

3 Likes

I feel this lol :joy:

It’s definitely one of those videos that draws attention to the non yoyo person. It’s like holy ___ this guy is laying there in the grass playing yoyo and the yoyo is sideways what is this black magic

Everything about this video blew me away when I first saw it. The trickset is incredible of course, but what really sets it apart for me is the flow and execution. Everything moves together and elements just link together effortlessly. Super inspirational for the way I try and play, even though I’m literally not even 1/10th as capable lol

5 Likes

It feels kinda bad because in my head I know that playing fast and playing technical aren’t mutually exclusive, but I never built up enough foundational skill for speedier play (mostly thinking frontstyle in this regard) when playing with a shorter string before, and now trying to go back and build up that foundation with long string is so much harder even though I’ve gotten better at yoyo.

Some day I’ll get over the hump and just do it, but it’s definitely a really weird trap that I think a lot of newer players fall into, myself included. Just need to shorten my string and do it at some point, but that’s just so unappealing at the moment. Eventually…

1 Like

The trick that starts at 1:43 is wild

1 Like

He picked a great song too (literally and figuratively) speaking. But I also feel like when you’re that good and that smooth you can sync most music with your routine/tricks lol

1 Like

His playing even speeds up as the energy in the song builds. Its just so good

1 Like

He makes everything look so effortless in that video (and in real life). He’s one of those people that make yo-yoing look wayyyy easier than what we all know it is

1 Like

I’m in the same boat in regards to my foundational skills. I almost wanna take a day and just go back through Andre’s tuts and learn/smooth out some stuff. There’s a lot of trick tutorials where I’m like man if I’d had just practiced this mount/element etc more back when I was first starting I bet this trick/combo would come easier/look smoother. And the same with the string it’s like I like the way longer string looks when you’re playing, the exaggerated slacks and whips and what not, but for certain stuff and pacing it’s a challenge for sure. And shorter string became unappealing really quickly lol

1 Like

I love watching his older 1a routines, they’re so unique compared to others at the time, has some neat music cues in it too.

If y’all haven’t seen Hajime’s new 1a freestyle would highly recommend a peek:

Absolutely love the amount of flourish in this freestyle, such as the bind at around the 3:03 mark.

3 Likes

That little slack-thing Hajime does at the 1:30 mark is so sick

Superstarls broke my yoyo cherry. Skip to 4:52 for the actual yoyoing.

2 Likes

The first five minutes are pretty funny though lol, Warning there is some language though for those that care or are younger

1 Like

The Smuckers Brothers. I loved them!

3 Likes

Oh yea, don’t get me wrong, I love the sketches they do and the whole video is great. I figured I’d add the time stamp for courtesy’s sake. Needless to say, Charles really inspired me that day. Him, Jensen, and Tyler are just on another level with their style and flow.

1 Like

@AndreBoulay and his old tutorial videos actually. Really drove home the fact you didn’t need a top notch metal to do any trick when he just used his Legacy or Dark Magic to do all of them.

4 Likes

Absolutely. The Dark Magic in its day was THE yoyo. Everyone either had one or wanted one, largely in part because of Andre and his tutorials lol

1 Like

Last Sunday Conversation of the month! Also if anyone has an idea on a topic for the upcoming weeks feel free to shoot me a DM, need some ideas.

Short and sweet today, what has been the best spot/location you’ve ever thrown at? A place where you wanted to just stop everything and yoyo there forever.

I don’t really have a great answer myself, I started throwing again right around the end of last summer and I haven’t traveled much this winter. But right now is a spot on my folks property in the mountains. This particular spot has a ledge that overlooks the valley and it’s really just a majestic background when throwing. I go up to that property sometimes by myself just to get a little solitude, some good fishing and peaceful throwing sessions.

11 Likes

Looks very relaxing :hugs:

1 Like