Summer’s Counterweight Reviews

Hello and welcome to SCWR!

Grading Process
  1. Impact 1-10
  2. Weight 1-10
  3. Feel 1-10
    4 Swivel 1-10 (How well it swivels to adjust string tension)
    5 Value 1-10
    Value = price divided by two and subtracted from 15
    Additional comments
    10-100 100-90=A 89-80=B 79-70=C 69-60=D 59- below=F
    All scores get multiplied by 2 to work into standard letter grading.
Throwback UltraWeight

SCWR pt 1 Throwback Ultraweight
Impact 8
Weight 5
Grip/Feel 6
Swivel 9
Value 8.5
The ultraweight is slightly heavier than average, weighing in at 11.6g fully assembled. I personally like lighter cw’s (maybe 8.6-10.4) but the bearing of the cw is around two grams, so I just remove the bearing to make it weigh in at a very comfy 9.6g. It’s advertised as a soft and no-hurt cw, but I still find it can sort of hurt, as all cube cws do. Cube cws are generally my favorite shape, as I find they are the easiest to hold and catch, but the ultraweight isn’t grippy nor slippery. It is one of the cheapest bearing cws on the market, selling for 14.99usd when most other bcws sell for over 20.
TLDR cheap, great for a first cw, but not particularly good or bad outside of that.
Final grade: 73 (C)
WIN_20240419_09_07_40_Pro
Yo-yo: c3 stellar ix

PoryKon Saturn

Impact 9.5
Weight 10
Feel 9.5
Swivel 8
Value 8
The saturn is probably my favorite cw of all time, mixing the safety of rubber weights and the performance of pc ones. It weighs in at 10g flat, perfectly in the middle of the spectrum. The rubber ring not only helps to catch it, but (sometimes) protects you and your yoyo from getting booped. It also comes in some of my favorite colorways I’ve ever seen.
Final Grade: 90 (A)
WIN_20240419_10_42_42_Pro
Yo-yo: throwback atlas

PoryKon Fu-Ring

Sorry for takin a while with this vol 3 let’s get it
Impact 7
Weight 8
Swivel 8
Feel 7
Value 6.5
Final Score: 73 (C)
I love the weight distribution of the Furing, probably my favorite of any counterweight, with a ton of weight around the lower outside, which gives it tons of power. Plus the Porykon -lock system is about as good as it can get outside of bearing cws, and make a cw that would be $30+ only 17.

Yo-yo: c3 windoundary

12 Likes

Nice one. I suggest you put a picture of the reviewed counterweight every time. Makes it more appealing an we do not have to search to have an idea of the looks of the cw.

Keep going!

4 Likes

Done!

1 Like

Not bad picture helps a ton at least grabs my attention.

I’ll say over time and easier to start now. Would be nice to see a glossary of sorts or something so either we can click and link to the review we care about from the OP or just a list showing the scores in order so we can at minimum see what weights are ranked at a distance.

Kind of like gingie and cake do in their review threads.

Also I would love to see some no city weights reviewed when you get a chance. Zooks is awesome.

1 Like

Done!

3 Likes

Saturn review Done!!

2 Likes

bump

Saturn is the only counterweight I have tried. I find it amazing. Have two of those. Next target : gummyweights.

2 Likes

Looking forward to see the review roster grow over time. I’ve always thought 5A is super interesting and as much as I believe/know string does make a difference, it had never really occurred to me that counterweights mattered much at all aside from the weight and just picking one you thought looked cool.

I’ve noticed different CWs have different speed and momentum based on their shape and where the weight is distributed. I.e. CWs with most of the weight toward the back (away from the yoyo) those seem to hold momentum better then center or forward weighted CW.

1 Like

Fu-ring review dropped!!

2 Likes

First off I’m loving the reviews! I am curious, however, how you determine feel? Just wondering as I feel to an extent that it is subjective and I’m wanting to know how you judge that. I know that like a spikeball for a cw would be suboptimal for everyone but how one may think a Saturn feels is different in their hands than a cube.

I personally base it off of the smoothness/texture of the weight in your hands and the weight distribution while swinging or doing pendulums. Also just sort of how it fits into your hands. It is subjective, and I don’t have a system for it, I just rate it based on me personally.

1 Like

I haven’t made a new one in awhile cuz I haven’t gotten any new weights :eyes: should I get the shroomhed or the yeti next?