Suggest easy "looks good at a distance" tricks for a 10 year old variety show yo-yo routine?

My son did a variety show yo-yo routine last year, in 3rd grade. I was impressed because he came up with the (simple) tricks and routine himself, with only a little input from me.

He’s lost some of his interest in yo-yos since then, so I was surprised when he told me today he wants to do another yo-yo routine this year in 4th grade. The variety show is in 2 weeks.

His skills (and mine) have definitely advanced from that video a year ago, so I’m not too worried about putting a routine together that will impress muggles at relatively short notice. However, one thing I am worried about… notice the viewing distance from the stage. I’m looking for tricks that are:

• relatively simple
  • most importantly, look good at a distance :eyes: (so big, swing-y stuff)
  • can be assembled into a basic routine

… any suggestions?

12 Likes

Around the worlds, eli hops, boomerangs

2 Likes

I did my school talent show using yoyo twice. First year got second, second year won 1st. Here are some crowd tricks I’ve learn’t:

• Fingerspin with tornado bind. Works every time.
  • Body wraps (e.g. guillotine)
  • Tricks with blindfold (recommend a frontstyle/brain-twister combo)
  • Getting on the floor and doing an ‘Evan Nagao’
  • Eli hops, if you can do 360 horizontal even better
  • any Arm/Neck/Leg trick
  • Seasick (if you can lol)
  • Mach 5 with moonwalk
  • a combo you can do really fast (skin the gerbil, or any rail combo)
  • Jump over trapeze/ (this might be too hard for some and can cause injury
  • A normal finger grind
  • Kwijibo
  • Floss dance in keychain mount

Do not use

• any technical trick
  • any slow moving trick
  • any picture trick unless you are in the dark with glowing string
  • try not to use gts

Tips:

• Keep confident.
  • Choose music with a reasonable cool drop
  • Know that their idea of yoyo isn’t the same as yours
  • Call the crowd for a cheer when you reach the part before you get on the floor/ put on blindfold
  • Try to keep the routine ~ 2 mins
9 Likes

First of all, D’AWWW! :blush:

Second, Eli hops are pretty visible. And looping. I’m drawing a blank rn. That’s all I got

1 Like

Your boy is much better than me, so no tips here, but i jusy wanted to say he killed that routine! The kid definitely shreds harder than i do, by a long shot

Hope that his interest doesn’t fade and he sticks with it. Tell him internet people think he’s rad!

Hope he nails this talent show! Good luck

2 Likes

really easy slacks

1 Like

Pinwheels, barrel rolls

1 Like

Yoyo for all the family! now that’s something I love to see, my parents just won’t get it.

1 Like

Old school, bird in hand! If his hands are to small he could use his none throw hand to land the trapeze at the end. Yeah, I know it wouldn’t be technically bird in hand but it could be bird in nest.

Ping bong tricks might work.

1 Like

I recommended he use the Kui as well to get the LED light effects.

5 Likes

Given the distance, choose a shirt so string and yoyo show against it well.

4 Likes

Neon string, the backdrop is dark so the brighter the better.

Maybe throw a Matrix in there.

3 Likes

That was awesome.

Looks like he has a good sleeper, I’d suggest making longer combos, and doing everything to make sure the yo-yo comes back to the hand wound up, even if it means making a trick shorter or a shorter UFO. And honestly he’s gotta walk the dog, put some style into it, people love walk the dog.

If he uses the Kui I suggest maybe switching to the Kui halfway through, and to maybe get someone there to cut the lights when he switches to the Kui.

4 Likes

Black shirt, white string, light single colored yoyo.

1 Like

That was great! What was he trying to do with the UFO? Looks like he was going to take the string off his finger while it was still going?

Body tricks are good:

• Behind the Back Trapeze
  • Leg Wraps
  • Vernicious Kinit(?) I tried to find this one, but couldn’t. I’m not sure I got the name right, though. Anyway, it’s a great trick for the stage-

Vernicious Kinit:

• Throw an “Around the World”
  • As the yo-yo comes around, step your TH leg out, bend at the knees, and land in a “Trapeze” under your TH leg in front of you.
  • Pop the yo-yo out under your leg to go “Around the World” in the opposite direction.
  • As the yo-yo swings around towards you, twist your body to send it under the NTH leg, and land it in a “Trapeze” under that leg behind you.
  • Pop the yo-yo back out under your leg, and tug return, as originally it was done on a responsive yo-yo.

With an unresponsive yo-yo you can bind when the yo-yo is back in front, realizing that the spin is in the side style direction.

There are lots of options once you pop the yo-yo out from under your NTH leg, though! You could land in a “Trapeze”, or really any other side style mount, and go right into a side style combo. You can also do it as a repeater.

I know nobody learns the way I laid out above anymore, so if I get a chance, I’ll record it.

2 Likes

Have him do an around the world -> rock the baby -> walk the dog combo right off the bat before he does anything else. Will satisfy all the plebs and then he can impress them with a couple more advanced tricks.

4 Likes

Variety show comes up tomorrow, thanks again everyone for the suggestions and tips!!

I will say that the LED-powered Kui has been a huge hit and is totally mesmerizing people in auditions. So I do recommend going the LED route if you can!

13 Likes

How’d it go?

6 Likes

I too would like to know

Sure here it is! He kept it simple but we did add some Eli Hops there toward the end

Sorry had trouble with the end getting cut off there for some reason.

14 Likes