Stupid questions people ask about yoyoing

when people ask you what are stupid questions people ask about yoyoing

2 Likes

I feel that one should not look down on others who do not know what yoyoing is all about. For example, teachers do not look down on their students just because they do not understand something, right?

You have had too many nice teachers

well i LOVE it when people say “ha! the yoyo is doing all the work! anyone could do that!” then im like “okay, you try” and they cant even make it sleep. and then i explain to them about bearings, blahh,blahh,blaahhh. and they get interested in yoyoing and then want to learn about it. :slight_smile:

right after i show someone a really cool combo or something they say “oh… can you do walk the dog?” slaps forhead

Tell them that you can do walk the dog on your arm and across your back. That might interest them enough to get them to join yoyoing.

“the only stupid question is the one that isn’t asked”

something that a teacher of mine said back then thats always stuck with me…anyways people who ask redundant things that are common knowledge to us shouldn’t be looked upon as “dumb” or “stupid” but rather we should see an opportunity to shine the light of wisdom into the darkness that is their ignorance.

To be honest, these threads, and the resulting arguement, are such a common occurance, its not unreasonable to think people just make them to troll by now.

Agreed. Except, I don’t think they are MADE for trolling. Many people just welcome certain topics as opportunities to troll.

When I was volunteering for an after-school group (Pre-k -2nd), I would bring my yoyos, and the kids would love it. But, I always got bummed out when I would try to show them a new trick I learned and they would always want me to do

1. Run the dog
  2. Sky rocket
  3. Spaghetti
    BUt, like many others have posted, that shows interest. Now, about half of those kids have yoyos, and when I see them, they can’t wait to tell me that they can do run the dog (or at least their variant of it, which is just rolling it across the room). But I always feel good knowing that I inspired someone, and that a large group of people look up to me.

As for people asking to throw your yoyo…I usually have 2-5 yoyos on me at any time I go out. If someone sees me throwing my Raptor and asks me if they can try, then I pull out a Mosquito or a Zombie and let them try a throw I don’t care so much about. They ask me questions, like what’s the difference, and why do they make different sounds? And I pull the yoyos apart and show them. They wouldn’t have asked if they didn’t want to know.

I think that, overall, I am interested in yoyoing because it’s a hobby that I can do anywhere and anytime Answering a few questions or doing tricks that I do not want to do doesn’t hinder my practice time at all. Once you walk the dog, or slurp the spaghetti, you can go about doing a hard trick again. Once you answer the random stranger’s question, you can always continue trowing.

Just remember, don’t walk the dog on concrete; do an arm grind instead. It’s more impressive, and safer for your yoyo.

1 Like

I typically get questions like “Is that a sleeper yoyo/trick yoyo/special kind of yoyo?” (as opposed to what other kind of yoyo might I ask) which happened last weekend when throwing my Lyn Fury around at a Chuck E Cheese (we were meeting a friend there). As much as I hear the odd questions from non yoyoers, I’m more happy that I caught their interest and then I can tell them all about yoing. I did get one kid ask if my Fury was a NED (one of those school yoyos)…but I told him it’s a far better one (in my opinion). Lastly, as much as I really don’t want to say that this is a stupid question but a more helpful one, they always ask me “How did you learn all these?” I then tell them ‘practice’ and ‘yoyoexpert.com and youtube.’

I agree with many, be prepared to walk the dog or rock the baby especially after busting out your hardest and longest trick. I’ll only walk the dog if I’m on a soft surface, or I’ll arm grind instead and tell them that walk the dog took on a more modern form. Rock the baby’s too simple so I usually add a little flare to it by ending it with a dizzy baby…that usually surprises people, something they’d least expect.

Did you unscrew the yoyo and explain to them how the ball bearing works?

Can you walk the dog? (after
Can I try?
and I can do that?
(usually when someone says that (depending on the person)(especially if they are being a snob or trying to look cool I just give it to them and they don’t look so cool)

I always bring one of my beater yoyo’s with me.

Sometimes these questions are annoying but I don’t legitly just blow up on them. Sometimes for fun I just tell them I cant do walk the dog.