Stringing/winding tips colossus vi

Got a new yoyo for Xmas. Haven’t played around with one since about… 1996. Back then the nice yoyos center post was knurled and the string grabbed onto those and then the center posts was seated into ball bearings.

Well it appears this one the string latches onto the ball bearing itself (see pictures below). When I try to wind it, the ball bearing just spins. I’ve kind of gotten it and I’m able to throw…

But when I try to do a basic sleeper or gravity I can’t get the yoyo to come back up. It just goes down and stays down. I followed the steps for stringing it in this site directly, but it just isn’t working. From what I remember and understand from playing around before and basic physics the friction on the string when you jerk up the yoyo is what causes the yoyo to come back up. With the yoyo center post being the bearing itself it doesn’t make sense.

Anyone got any hints/tips or ideas on what I need to do here? Or what I’m doing wrong here?

I guess I’m only allowed 1 image per post as a new user.

2 Likes

Welcome back. Definitely a bit of a learning curve to pick up unresponsive yoyoing. There are lots of ways to wind up the yoyo. First link below should help. And to get the yoyo to come back while it is still spinning, you will need to learn a bind. There are also lots of those, but I linked a simple one below. Good luck!

2 Likes

Most modern (non-looping) yoyos today are unresponsive, which means they won’t come back to your hand with a tug. For that you need to get a responsive yoyo. Most responsive yoyos are plastic rather than metal, but there are some very nice metal ones if you want to spend the cash on it.

If you prefer to try and make use of your Colossus VI, you will need to learn a bind or two, as Roy mentioned.

2 Likes

Yes to clarify the last two posts, your new yoyo is unresponsive and is intended to not come back by tug. You will need to learn how to bind the yoyo, which is totally doable. When I picked yoyoing back up in 2017, I opted to learn starting with an unresponsive yoyo and simply practiced my throw and basic bind at the same time. Happy throwing!

1 Like

I found this video very helpful for understanding how binds worked when I was starting out. Bind Theory Yoyo Trick - Learn How

And I 100% recommend starting with the first bind featured in the second video that @Roy_Dodge poated. That is the basic starter bind and it is very approachable for beginners.

1 Like

Hey @Daculprit, just wondering how your making out with your unresponsive yoyo? Have you worked out binds yet?

1 Like