String makers question

I’ve found some interesting very solid results.
Found some works perfect in some throws, but then a bit snaggy in the Generals so I adjusted a bit and found an excellent solution for the narrower gap / larger response of old.

Now it’s working
Here is my candy cane 50/50 100% nylon.

Edit- I’m told by my daughter it’s not candy cane because of the yellow…

(Mk1 Yoyos) #23

that looks REALLY good.

Thanks Mark
I’m finding they play even better. I like a slick string and I’ve really taken to the speed of the whips with nylon. I’ve found a bit thinner whips just slightly slower than thick and am tuning the blends to keep the speed under control.
A mix of bulky or Woolley with maxi and sometimes all three gets it there.

I just need to find some neon nylon that seemingly doesn’t exist. ( I love a neon string)

(Mk1 Yoyos) #25

As far as I can tell there are two ways to get neon nylon:

1. buy it from a french sewing website that charges $30 for shipping to the US:
  1. Dye it yourself

({John15}) #26

:sob:whyyyyy. I’ve tried to reach out to my favorite nylon manufacturers to ask if they’d start dying neon colors. Mostly they either don’t get back to me, or I get put on a mailing list to which they will inform me if they do ever decide to do that.

Gee thanks

I ordered some neon dye to try it. It’s impossible to dye a spool throughout, but you can get enough for a handful of strings at least just by dropping the spool in some dye. I died some but did not have neon local to try.
Seems like it’s been 2 weeks since my order. Maybe it’s coming on a slow boat from china.

(Mk1 Yoyos) #28

There are some string dyeing instructions from spool thread here:

Sounds like you should make the plain strings first, then dye them.

Rit dye works on the maxi lock. I guess I’ll get some neon.
The stuff I ordered is a flop.

too much work for me to go through that dye process. Thats where I draw the line.
Rit dye can be put in a container, drop the spool in for 1/2 hour or so, then pull it out and let it dry. easy enough.