Calling all string makers need sum help

so i have made my string (1/4 nylon 3/4 poly reduced by 20%) and it works surprisingly well, but only for the first day. It starts to lose its tension after only 1 day. I would do a couple of my combos, and it would loop/twist a couple of times. Is there any suggestions to keep the string holding its tension? thanks! (sorry for @ing any1 but I am desperate @Avvatar @MarkD @Mystik)

4 Likes

I reduce by 12-15% because of this. The extra reduction creates a lot of potential torsion in the string from the start, not allowing much in the way of play before it’s TOO tight.

This is my experience and not scientific or researched in any way! :grimacing:

3 Likes

ok so ur saying that reducing too much can lead to not holding its tension later?

3 Likes

That’s what I’ve noticed. When you play with it, you twist it more, so if it’s twisted more (reduced more) before you even start throwing, then you have a lot less wiggle room. Worth a try to simply reduce the initial reduction. When you do this, you’ll get a bit of a thicker string, so maybe drop a single strand (not a full back-and-forth loop, but just one strand) of the poly in your blend to account for that. Or a full loop, what do I know?! lol.

2 Likes

hm that makes sense i always thought of it as u reduce it more so that as it gets tension, its less of the full% of the tension in the string

1 Like

thanks!

1 Like

hm just tested it (20% vs 13%) i did 8 twist around the yoyo and looked to see how many twists the string made the 13% made 7 half twists and the 20% made 5 half twists
Ill keep testing tho!

2 Likes

yep, keep on testing!

2 Likes

have you found a solution to this problem? how much do you reduce by?

1 Like

It sounds like reduction is the culprit. Keep adjusting & experimenting, looks like your on the right track.

2 Likes