String makers! I need your help

Hey guys!
So I’m trying to make silk string for wooden fixies.
Got my technique down for making string. The problem I’m having is silk is just too slippery for a wooden fixed axel.
I have tried 6, 8,9,7,10 wrap strings and it all does the same it just spins with no response. Effectively making my wooden fixed axel an unresponsive (which is fun in it’s own right but impractical for the purpose LOL)

Any idea on making 100% silk work on fixies?
I put is greatly appreciated!

1 Like

Shot in the dark. Bees wax on the loop area that attaches to the yoyo? Learned during Fix Axel Feburary to get my Woodie with Cotton more responsive.

2 Likes

Hmmm. I will try that. Maybe resin? because that’s what I use for wooly nylon at the finger loop to keep it from slipping.

You might try “pre-twists.”

Instead of doing all your wraps and then twisting/reducing the entire string, try twisting half of your wraps a bit and repeat with the rest of your wraps right beside it. Then twist the two sets together and reduce it.

You might find that technique gives some extra texture/tension to the string that helps it respond better.

For example, instead of doing 8 wraps, twist a set of 4 wraps and another set of 4 wraps. Then twist those together and reduce. If you want to take it even further, you could twist four sets of 2 wraps, combine those in pairs, and finally twist them all together.

I would start by not reducing the actual length much or at all in your pretwists.

2 Likes

Oh! Wow ok let me try that! That’s an excellent idea thank you!