Fixed-Axle String Question

So I just got my first fixed axle. A Hildy Bros Currier and it’s pretty rad! I ordered an pack of YYE Cotton strings with it, but I’ve noticed that it’s wayyy less responsive with the YYE string compared to the single string it came with. I’ve tried double wrapping the string and it’s too responsive (though fun for shoot the moons, and loop stuff)… Can I expect the YYE string to get more responsive after a few minutes of play? Also, anyone know what brand string the Curriers ship with? Thanks a bunch!

I don’t know what brand the string it comes with is because I do not have that Yo-Yo. That does look like a nice fixed axle throw, though. It looks very high quality. My best assumption having experience with fixed axles myself is that you may want to try different string tensions. Doubling the string is just going to really reduce your sleep time and yes having it way to loose may cause it to have no responsiveness at all. Playing fixed axles is a whole different ball game if you are coming from ball bearing Yo-Yo’s, you’re going to have to spend a few weeks with the fixed axle to get adjusted to its differences. But it is worth learning if you are up to the challenge and it will definitely develop your overall skill.

My experience has been that new strings are not responsive. I always wind it by hand (which tightens the string) then throw it. If it is still unresponsive, I wind it by hand and try again. Essentially, I am tightening the string until it becomes responsive. After a while, it will start behaving as it is supposed to. I would issue a warning here: if you over tighten, you can scar the axle, so be a bit careful with that.

Incidentally, I have been using YYE cotton, and the stuff is amazing. I think it’s baked with Elven magic.

First couple of minutes with YYE cotton is very unresponsive. Just throw some forward passes to increase the string tension and you are set!

The regular YYE cotton string is not all that good. It’s thin and not twisted tightly enough. The YYE thick type-10 (only available in 100 packs) is an excellent cotton string.

2 Likes

Ever hear of UFO? Works wonders for tightening (or loosening) string.

Yup, UFO’s are the best way to adjust the String Tensions on these.

Yeah just do some tightening UFO’s and play it a bit till it breaks in. I use 50/50 and it works great once it’s broken in.

1 Like

Thanks for the responses! Strangely though, I’ve found that it’s become even more un-responsive as I’ve broken the string in (wether the string tension is high or not.) Also, I can only increase the string tension so much until it starts winding up on me mid-trick anyway. I’m not sure why but the original string was just perfect… I’m gonna email Hildy Bros and see if they can tell me what it was. Hopefully this extra YYE cotton string will play fine on the TMBR Moxon I’m getting to x-mas!

Hi everyone!
I Know this is a bit old post, but I think question fits here just rihgt.
Is there a way fo fix string tension on a fixie when UFO can’t be done. For example when the string is too tight for yoyo to sleep?

Sidewinder.
It’s one of the most useful tricks, especially in fixed play.

One way tightens, the other loosens.

You can also wet the tip of the string with lube, in case you want it to be responsive while keeping the string neutral for flips, which pretty much doesn’t work with positive tension.

If it’s too tight do the UFO in the other direction. It works to tighten or loosen the string depending on the direction you throw it. The yoyo does not, in fact should not, sleep to do a UFO. If it sleeps it will not twist or untwist the string.

I use UFO for gross adjustments either way.
I fine tune with Sidewinder as needed.
I EXTRA fine tune by pulling out single sidewinder twists to tighten or loosen. Sometimes one twist makes the difference. Fixed axle string tension is an art all on its own.

Thank you for your advices!
I know that UFO’s do not work while yoyo sleeps. I did not describe situation correctly… I cannot preform UFO sometimes because my string is too tight and yoyo snaps back at me immediately. I will try with sidewinder. Hope it will work in such cases. And I absolutely agree that string tension on a fixies is art on its own… :grinning:

I definitely know what you are talking about, and have had the same problem!

Even if your string is too tight to sleep, you can get a loosening sidewinder to happen by swinging the yoyo out to the right as it approaches the bottom.

With UFO, I found that I could throw the yoyo much more sideways to the right than to the left. I would get really frustrated, when I couldn’t get it to the left. What works for me is to throw the yoyo more straight down, but at a 45deg angle, instead of a more sideways throw.

Hope that helps!