String Life? Tips for maintaining string?

Just out of curiosity, I’d like to take a survey of people’s use of yoyo string and ask for any tips on making string last.

Style of play?
Type of string used?
How long between string changes?
What prompts a string change?

I’ll start with my own:
Style of play? 1A (with frequent dabbles in 2A, 3A, 5A)
Type of string used? YYE Poly Pink, YYE Poly White, Normal Kitty String
How long between string changes? Between 3-8 hours of play, or 2 days, whichever comes first.
What prompts a string change? A knot that cannot be undone, tension that just won’t go away, fraying.

My tip: Before you store your yoyo overnight or longer, make sure to relieve string tension before storage. Later, this tension tends to not go away even after attempting to relieve it.

I usually change my string every 2 days if im using poly, but if im using nylon wich tends to last longer for me i usually change it every 5 days. What prompts me to change strings is its strength and tension.

Washing hands can help a bit. Dirt, oils, acids gunk it up and help break it down.

I’ve actually found a way you can make any strings last as long as you want it to. All you have to do is not use it.

I have found that using any type of center-track bearing has helped extend the life of my strings on YOYO’s where their is high walls around the axel. Some types of surfaces can rub & fray the string down fairly quickly. Keeping the string centered as much as possible helps eliminate that particular type of wear. The string failures I have experienced have always been for that reason. :frowning: :frowning:

For string life what I do is I put some peanut butter on and rub it around. it makes the string soft

and then you delete system 32 on your yoyo’s hard drive

If you like a thin string without bounce I’d recommend trying the toxic dragon string. It springs back after a wash/dry cycle, lasts forever and literally gets better with age.

Sniffy-Yo.com
@Sniffyo on twitter

I think I read somewhere that if you put wax on your string when it is at perfect tension it really helps.

Last thing I need to do is fight for my yoyo with the resident mice, rats and ants that I’m trying to control as it is!

(they ain’t paying rent, they gots to go!)

Keeping your hands clean is important to string life. I use string lab type X. I usually change about every 4-6 days depending on how much I’m throwing. It tends to keep its tension pretty well even after a few days.