String length doubts

Hey guys, I’ve learned that the correct string length is about the belly button. I’ve done testing with longer and shorter strings, and it’s possible to play, although having to be more aware…

Watching some videos and contests, belly button seems okay, but several japaneses apparently have more slack, is it just a perception or is it really longer?

[Arata Imai]

I’m strugling to learn some slack tricks and I know I suck, but wondering if the correct rope lenght can help me… Hahaha

How do you set your rope lenght?

2 Likes

Man don’t worry , you go with belly button , or just don’t cut your string at all (for example default kitty string length ) both will be good , but just uncuted would be slightly better for slacks

1 Like

Its really preferential to your play. As I am progressing I find that I like the string a little bit longer. I use Kitty XL and do end end up cutting a couple inches off. It ends up being about chest height for me. On my responsive throws I go much shorter, belly button.

Brandon Vu would recommend the “Pre-Stretch”. https://youtu.be/2pA-LYTpJUg I didn’t realize how much the string will stretch while you play. I don’t think I agree with the way he was doing it… wrapped around the bearing!

1 Like

Some players play long and others play shorter. Something to keep in consideration, when playing with longer strings and you miss those slack and whip catches the Yo-Yo will be more prone to hit and bounce on the ground. Belly button length has just been a good reference point, this length also helps keep the Yo-Yo off the ground while playing.

4 Likes

one finger-height above the belly button, in shoes, on a thick rug, string slightly loose, then a fatguy strrrreeeeeetch backwards and a loop… it’s about right… ymmv

4 Likes

As most people know, there is no “right” way to string a yoyo. The way that is best for most is like @fatguysnacks247 said. That is the same way it has been for years (both my grand-dad and my dad do this). For me, I like a ~4.5 foot string for competition and a ~4 foot string for casual throwing (both of which are un-responsive). For woods and responsive, I generally go for a ~3 to ~3.5 foot string. If I am working on a speed combo, I may go even shorter, but it all depends. I think once you know how to throw properly (as in not hit the ground), you can do any string length.

All this said, this is long string gang signing out

5 Likes