Stricken of yoyo buying :(

guitar, drums,trombone and mandolin

-Dylan

yea I see what you mean I kinda regret posting this in a way but all.of you guys are very helpful I actually have never had a music teacher though but in spite of that your right my parents are good in how they let me manage myself and it was good for them to do that

-Dylan

Yeah I bet if you show the right behavior toward this, your parents will think you are really mature, and who knows maybe they will take that limit away. I have been yoyoing for almost two years and I have 10 throws and I think that it is a lot. So 3 new yoyos in such short amount of time is a luxury. I spoil myself sometimes and buy other things too for myself just because I can haha. Anyways just respect your parents decision and Iā€™m sure you will have a new throw in no time. :wink:

Okay, obviously revolting isnt the best option. Being open and honest and persistent with your parents is important. you need to let them know that you desire to try other high end yo-yos to develop your hand eye coordination further, etcā€¦ Show them how much joy the hobby brings you, and maybe they will remember that passionate fire that fueled them as children. As long as if you have the money to buy the yoyos, i dont see why you shouldnā€™t be able to use that money and try some more high end throws.

Dang, dude, you werenā€™t kidding about having some musical talent! Donā€™t think Iā€™ve ever met any mandolin players before. Thatā€™s heaps cool!

Yuki

yea thanks! My neighbor gave it to me because no one was using it so I learned how to play it haha

-Dylan

Same here man, I have the attention span of a 3 year old, and I also find it helps chill me out and is somewhat theraputic.

Whilst I do play guitar, Iā€™m a piano man through and through and have been for many years. However sometimes I really wish I dedicated even more time in to practicing. I just tend to enjoy yoyoing more and itā€™s hard to fit in the time to do both.

Personally, Iā€™d rather be better at piano than yoyoing. However when I can sit there with my ipod in throwing and having a great time compared to focusing on learning a piece of music and concentrating intently on hitting the right keysā€¦ I just canā€™t bring myself to make that trade.
I love playing piano, but practicing piano is nowhere near as enjoyable.

Music is a fantastic thing to get good at though. If youā€™ve got the gift then go with it, and who knows where you could end up.

World class yoyoers can win a bit of money and recognition. World class musicians can sell out stadiums. :slight_smile:

Itā€™s 9 oā€™clock on a Saturdayā€¦

Yuki

1 Like

But the shipping fees. The horror! The horror!

A long, long time ago when I was a young whippersnapper, my parents werenā€™t necessarily super ā€œsupportiveā€ of all my hobbies but they didnā€™t actively discourage me and for the most part they did accept my hobbies and trust my judgment as it related to them.

Although it took me some time to get into the wheeling and dealing as far as yoyos go, from age 13-18 I was extremely active and aggressive in buying and selling stuff in trading card games. eBay was just barely starting to become a significant thing, PayPal was still a completely separate entity and people still regularly used/accepted money orders, cashiers checks, personal checks and even credit cards over the phone for purchases (seriously). I built a miniature empireā€¦as much of an empire as a teenager without a paycheck could build with trading cards with cartoons on them at least, and it definitely wouldnā€™t have been possible had my parents either directly put a stop to it by not allowing me to do so (I wouldnā€™t have hid it from them anyway, but it would have been impossible to even try since I had to make eBay/PayPal accounts under their name and I was sending/receiving an enormous number of packages such that it was obvious what I was doing anyway) or just discouraging me in general, as I loved them and valued their opinion. Although as a teenager it was my job to doubt them and be insolent at times, I knew then and still know now that with age does come wisdom and experience.

Iā€™m not saying to go behind their back and do what you want, in fact thatā€™s the last thing Iā€™d suggest. For the most part Iā€™m just relaying my story and experience, and also suggesting that perhaps you can slowly ease them into being more trusting of your purchases if you can show that itā€™s being done in a responsible mannerā€¦if you can show that you are able to sell stuff (safely) such that you can try a number of yoyos with little (or no) cost to yourself then they might change their tune.

Buying/selling is a much better place to start in my opinion, as PayPal offers protection that has yet to fail me once. The vast majority of people who are actually ripped off are the result of trades gone wrong, and the vast majority of those are situations in which the people send at the same time because both people have a relatively low feedback count. By getting some purchases/sales under your belt you can be in a position where you are never sending first to someone with a low feedback and the people you are sending at the same time with are likely to be very reputable.

BSTing can be a really great and even rewarding experience. Whether youā€™re rich or poor, there are always going to be some releases you miss out on and releases you ignore and later decide you would like to try, which means the BST will be your only way of acquiring said yoyo. Thereā€™s just something so satisfying about getting a trade that both parties are really happy with, finding that one colorway of one of your favorite throws that youā€™ve been hoping would pop up for ages, or just getting a great deal on a yoyo you were on the fence about and finding out that itā€™s a great fit for you

1 Like

Id be happy with an Arctic circle 2 and a Cascade :stuck_out_tongue:

Cascade for 5a and AC2 for 1a!

I may not be limited on my buyings. I mean I donā€™t buy often.

But I cant purchase anything in the $100 rangeā€¦ It makes sense when I can get them mint and used way cheaper. But its nice to buy some expensive yoyo once or twice :wink:

1 Like