Strength training?

I’ve been weightlifting for close to 15 years. The best advice I’ve ever heard for a beginner is form >>> weight. There’s a big difference between lifting a weight and lifting it PROPERLY. If you can’t lift it with good form, it’s too heavy.

And as they say, muscle is made in the kitchen. A good rule of thumb is 1g of protein per pound of body weight.

5 Likes

I think form is oversimplified by a lot of people and what good form looks like depends a lot on your individual proportions. For example, people with longer upper legs need to lean forward more while squatting to maintain balance.

Also, if you’re overly strict about maintaining form throughout a set of curls for example, you are probably not training at maximum intensity and limiting your progress to an extent.

1 Like

I started regular exercise again a few years ago after a long hiatus, it’d been since high school!

I’ve now lost over 110lbs living on a sustainable diet and regular (5 days a week) exercise routine. Defeated morbid obesity, pre-diabetes, type2 diabetes (almost there before I started), and high cholesterol.

Best advice I can give to anyone beginning their fitness journey is to start slow and focus on form and consistency. Make sure you have a healthy and sustainable diet.

My routine is comprised of yoga and kettlebell. Yoga gives me a great warm up and cool down with focus on balance and flexibility. Kettlebell gives me a combination of cardio and strength training. Best part, is I don’t need a gym. Just my mat, kettlebell, and a bag of hand chalk :muscle:

8 Likes

this video is hilarious and informative!
I have stolen and moderately adapted the reccomened split, gonna try it out in a week or 2 when I return to the weights room

1 Like

I’m in my 30s and been lifting regularly my whole life. Form is by far the most important thing. Learn some good stretching and do it daily. I do mean every day for the stretching. My back went completely out on me at 26. Mostly do to my army experience but regular stretching would have helped.

2 Likes

I’m actually a professional full-time personal trainer.

Anyone and everyone can PM me I’ll answer whatever I can.

3 Likes

Start walking every day.

Don’t just start strength training without getting your body ready for it.

Excellent circulation is your friend. If you walk 15 or 20 minutes a day, especially at a brisk pace, but it doesn’t have to be, your body will generate endorphins, which is that positive sensation you get in your head and one of the reasons doctors want people to exercise it puts them in a better mood.

Just remember, you got a warm up a hot rod before you run it down the track. Strength training is no different. You gotta warm up first.

To be continued…

4 Likes

They had bad form and very few people are training to need to break form to push harder and those that do should only do so with a trainer not a random person.

By that I just mean cheat curls or half reps to finish a set can be a good thing. Some people get it into their head that perfect form > everything and they never approach failure during training. Not advocating for unsafe form.

1 Like

If you have not been instructed on weights and weightlifting you should consider getting a personal trainer at your local gym. They can teach you the basics as well as develop a program that meets your specific needs and goals. They will also help reduce your risk of further injury while ensuring progress.

Sometimes it pays to hire a professional. When it comes to fitness-training I believe this can be money well-spent.

4 Likes

I do boxing class 4 times a week for around 1 hour and 15 minutes/1 and a half plus an healthy diet prescribed by a doctor (started recently after years of keeping eat bad and not doing exercise).

I do not do fight, is literally just a hiit class with also boxing included, I do not like the gym and the personal training here cost more than my life, this was the closer stuff to have a personal trainer and do exercise.

From when I started I did lost a lot of weight and feeling overall better in every single aspect of my life, I hope I will never go back to my bad habits from before, it is an hard fight with yourself but is doable!

4 Likes

I’ve been lifting consistently for 2 years now. Get on a program and be consistent. Consistency is the main thing here. It’s going to take a longgggg time to see results so just stick with it and grind it out. The programming part also helps so that you’re not just flying by the seat of your pants. Focus on compound moves (squat, press, deadlift) and center your workouts around one of those. You can do it! Just remember that it takes a while and don’t get discouraged!

1 Like

thanks for all the replies everyone this is really motivating to see
I had no idea there were so many fellow yoyoers hitting gym.

5 Likes

I used to be an amateur body builder and know a ton about nutrition and excercises and all that jam. Now I just walk a few miles a day to keep everything healthy.

1 Like

update:
been following the advice and going to the gym with mainly compund movements

really enjoying it for now
and I can now do 7 pushups :smile:

thanks again

8 Likes

Good job! Keep going brother. It takes time, but you’ll feel great when you start hitting goals.

2 Likes

still going strong, been going 2x a week with a full body split on the advice of this chat and some of the linked videos

doubled the weight (to still low numbers) on most exercises, enjoying the process for now :slight_smile: honestly its satisfying to not just be lifting the bare bar!!

Was having a hard time the other day so came back and read this, cheered me up

Thanks again!!!

6 Likes

Keep up the good work!! Super satisfying to see results too! I’m curious just because you mentioned it last time how many push ups you up to now? Also what’s your favorite and least favorite workout everyone has one haha l!

3 Likes

Keep it up! Persistence and a healthy diet (or at least one with a good amount of protein) are key alongside hydration. I’m a bit more fat than I would like to be atm but if you want strengthening advice I would like to believe I know what I’m doing as I’ve done wrestling (the Olympic sport, not the staged, albeit admirably athletic, theatrics) for most of my life.

Either way you should be proud of yourself! Take it at your own pace.

2 Likes

If doing a lot of push ups is your goal…try the Army…:rofl::rofl:

1 Like