Strength training?

do you guys take part in any strength training
such as weightlifitng or calisthenics.

do you have any tips for a begginer (man in my 20s)

I already get pelnty of cardio, but want to be much stronger (can only do 1 pushup) after having an injury last year

thanks for any advice and please share your training and stories.

6 Likes

Hey! I used to do calisthenics a couple years ago and what helped me was actually treating it like yoyoing and practicing for skills since that was more engaging to me. I felt the same kind of satisfaction and excitement I had from learning a cool yoyo trick that I did learning the L-sit or other skills. I never got super good, but I enjoyed it and I felt like it was one of the first times I was actually making real progress with my fitness on my own terms.

What would be helpful though is to start small and do the easiest variations possible before jumping into things. You don’t want to flare up your injury again and developing strong fundamentals, just like in yoyoing, will help you as you progress in fitness too, regardless of if you do weights or calisthenics or both.

I haven’t been doing calisthenics regularly for a while but when I did, consistency, training for skills, working through easier progressions even if you feel silly doing it, and using assistance where needed helped me develop strong fundamentals in terms of technique and fitness to help as I progressed! The times I’ve had setbacks in fitness have been from either inconsistency or pushing my body too hard too fast and getting injured, so try not to do that! I hope it goes well, rooting for ya!

3 Likes

cheers man!!

yeah I definitely wont be going too hard too soon

the idea of going for skills rather than like a volume of training or load progression is interesing to me,
anything to make training more fun like that is such a good way of thinking of it

thanks for the insights :slight_smile:

1 Like

In my opinion you will see much better progress doing free weights as a beginner. Something like a full body split focused on compound movements. A lot of calisthenics require a certain baseline level of strength and you’ll have a much easier time once you’ve built that up.

3 Likes

Hiii I go to the gym regularly, I wasn’t quite as bad as not being able to do one pushup but I was definitely a skinny dude that struggled to move weight.

This video functionally sums up everything I have to say to start going gym. Like no joke lol.

Only thing I kinda disagree with is that it puts emphasis on using dumbbells/barbells, and if you’re starting out it can be harder to use those properly. I prefer using cable machines until I get the movements smooth and proper :slight_smile: but feel free to take this advice with a grain of salt because I’m only about 6 months in to going to the gym consistently. Bro in the vid is gymbro. Get shredded king :muscle:

5 Likes

to be clear last year i could easily do 10 push ups and 6 or so pullups

but since the lnjury i have had to dial it back up slowly
so im not stick thin, just i have never done dedicated weight/strength training, its just come as a side effect (not brass) of sports like mountian biking and rock climbing

1 Like

yeah i was thinking of saving any proper skills till after i have got my atrophied shoulder back to baseline muscle mass, just so it has some support

maybe some weights
and then build in some balance and mobilty once holding the bodyweight isnt a limiting factor

wpuld love to get to an Lsit and some more advanced push up variations

2 Likes

hey man, 6 months is longer than a lot of people last, (epsecially those who start in January) good work :muscle:
the advice is appreciated :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Start with smaller more manageable workouts and don’t be afraid to take rest days going 7 days a week is not ideal unless your trying to be a bodybuilder. Drink plenty of water and stretch/warm up before lifts/work outs, as workouts start to be easier increase weights or number of reps, higher weights lower reps gains size very quickly, lower weights higher reps builds lean muscle

If your struggling to do a push-up id recommend starting with body weight workouts

5 Likes

What are your goals just to be stronger? Do you want to be stronger in body weight ways, i.e you can do a flag pole? Or do you want strength as in you can lift heavy sets of metal objects a few times?

As a beginner best thing you can do is do full body. If you want to lift heavy metal things, look up a full body workout using weights. If you want to do things like flag pole, look up full body calisthenics exercises.

Reddit is a great source for this as it has pinned proven workouts that you just need to follow. The biggest thing is if you lift heavy weights watch form videos and post videos at lower weights as many do them wrong. When I looked to find videos to show my wife how to lift, it took me hours to find 12 videos of people lifting correctly on youtube because so many of these fitness gurus have horrible form.

2 Likes

Atrophied Shoulder!

Been there. 6 Months of not being able to use it from an injury really did a number.

Our bodies are amazing machines. They transform to our need and use. Sit on the couch doing 12 ounce curls and eating chips, your body transforms to that. Work out, your body transforms based on the muscles used.

At this point, I would not focus on lifting weights yet. For me, it was conditioning first and stretching. Loosening the ligaments that had “seized up” from not being used. I started small, like real small. A can of soup. Whenever I could, I would stretch, then go through the range of motion with that can of soup. Then a Large Can of Soup, then Resistent Bands. It wasn’t a fast process, but after my injury, I am back to about 95%. I don’t think I will ever get back to 100%.

Start small, be consistent, over time your body will conform to what you want it to do (Conditioning).

Good Luck.

3 Likes

yeah pretty much just want to be stronger for the purposes of:

injury prevention
health
minor - but its good to look fit
improved performance on the moauntain bike rock climbing indoors (bouldering)

1 Like

aye already gone past the soup can stage so the mobility is back :slight_smile:
firmly in the resistance band stage as directed by the physio
looking forward to adding load now the clavicle is solid again

1 Like

glad to see most of u agree about doing full body

trying the other often reccomend splits seems overcomplicated

1 Like

…do you lot train regularly atm?
are you happy with the resulting strength?

1 Like

I’d do calisthenics then, it will lead to the best kind of strength for your goals and have a lot lower risk of injury while training.

2 Likes

how did you injure it?

I was taking Archery Lessons. Had finished my session with the Recurve Bow. The instructor is left-handed like I am. In the Bow world, finding left-handed bows is difficult.

Instructor - “Want to try a Compound Bow?”
Me - “Hell Yeah!”

So what transpired was that I went from a 28-pound pull recurve to a 70-pound pull compound.

It was such a rush shooting the compound bow. I did not know my limitations. As I was struggling to get to full draw (Pulling 70 pounds) the cable came off the bow and my arm snapped back. It messed up the tendon in my upper shoulder.

After 6 months of “I am a tough guy, it will heal” and dealing with the pain and lack of mobility, I finally went to the Doctor.

1 Like

thats a brutal injury

I just broke my clavicle (collarbone) by crashing my mountain bike (with a few scapula hairline fractures)

apparently its near the most common broken bone so the doctors have a pretty clear pipeline on mending it

Not sure how “Common” mine is. But, basically the tendon slides under the shoulder bone in some positions, and out from under it in other positions. My tendon had swollen, so every time it tried to move to a different position, it would agitate it more. It was a perpetual cycle.

Ultimately had to do a Cortisone Injection to reduce the swelling, anti-inflamatory medication, then the Phisio.

1 Like