Starting from the bottom!

I got my throw today. After throwing, I realized I can do like 5 things besides the basics. Mach 5, Barrel rolls, Matrix, Buddha’s revenge, and Plastic whip. That’s it. Wow I’m sad at myself. I have decided to go back to the beginning and practice every day. My goal is to be competition ready in 5 years. And I don’t mean world champion, but yeah. I don’t know if that is a farfetched goal or a pathetic goal, I just don’t know. Haven’t thrown in a long time so don’t know how long it is gonna take, but if yall can bear/bare (no idea which one) with me here, maybe ill see some of yall at one of the big competitions some day!

Pics for interest

I encourage that you start participating in contests early if you plan on doing them in the future. I’ve only done a freestyle in one so far (closing in on 2 years of throwing)- did this around the year and a half mark and I can tell you it was an unbelievably valuable experience. I didn’t do as well as I hoped but now that I’ve done that, I know exactly what to expect for future freestyles. I also participated in my first trick ladder after maybe 4 months of throwing, I don’t really consider that a valuable experience but it was fun nonetheless.

tldr; start competing as early as possible, even if it’s in the trick ladder.

Noob question what’s trick ladder

Check this out

http://contest.nationalyoyo.org/sport-ladder-info/

They do it at most of the bigger contests, the one I first did was a really abbreviated race against another player.

Oh that’s cool! I would need to learn looping too, and need a throw for that haha this one drop ain’t a looper.

Sorry if it was a dear diary post, was just sharing my goal buddy.

Janos, Gentry, Zac, Takeshi… they all started somewhere. If you’re willing to put in the time and effort to practice hard, you will see great results. :slight_smile:

Don’t let anyone try and put down your goal or ambitions. If you want to be competition ready in 5 years, then get started and give it all you’ve got! WYYC 2020 is yours for the taking!

I’ve been going for 3 years so far (has it been that long already…?) and I’ll be competing for the first time this year. As to how well I’ll do… who knows. Either way, I think 5 years of solid practice is enough to get anyone to a pretty decent level. ;D

You can start competing whenever you want however, the sooner the better.

In the UK we’re lucky. We have quite a tight, friendly atmosphere.
Remember, no one wants you to do badly. They are all behind you.

I did my first trick ladder at 6 months (with no preparation) and my first freestyle at a year and a half.
I came 3rd out of 4 in the trick ladder and last in the freestyles but I’m so glad I did it.
With coming last I now know what it’s like being on stage and feel ready for my next freestyle.

Basically. Get out there as soon as you can. Whats the worst that can happen? :wink:

1 Like

This is typical from him. Just ignore.

5 years is way too far away a goal. With enough play time, you can be competing in a year. You might not take home the gold, but if you’ve had fun during that year and it has pushed you to try hard and put in long play sessions, you could make a showing.

Certainly there are more driven players who have been regionally or even nationally competitive within 2 years.

5 years… that’s way longer than you think and it’s too far away to maintain as a reachable goal. Set closer goals for yourself. You can do it!

Good advice. Sure get competant with your routine first but all the practice in the world is not going to simulate the feeling of being infront of a live crowd being judged. The more you do it the better you will be able to handle the anxiety and perform better.

Good luck and have fun!

Well thanks for all the advice! I guess ill just practice practice practice and see where I am at eventually :3. I actually got down a few tricks yesterday.

good luck! and by te way you will be surprised by ow far you advance in yoyoing in the first year. :wink:

I hope so! Lol. I can be a slow learner