Hello, I’m going to try something new here, so let me know if it’s “out of boundaries” or not.
So what I’d like to do on this post is to report on progress, I just started a week ago, before that, I had absolutely NO idea about what one could do with a yo yo, just like most people I guess.
So how it all started and who I am is explained in my introduction post (p129, introductions topic), the basic reason why I started yo yoing is because I like the way it looks and I love the way it feels.
From the starts, I’ve been following almost exclusively Andre’s tutorial videos, for several reasons. First, it’s very well explained, very clear and easy to understand. Second, well, André seems like a very nice guy and he makes it look so simple.
Anyways until further notice, I borrowed a FAST 201 (rebranded) that my son had and started throwing it through various furniture and family members, ended up waking up my neighbours throwing that noisy toy in the middle of my parking lot at 11pm-ish, then finally I got to land a few basic tricks.
Up to now, I have most of the beginner section down except for
- creeper, because I didn’t feel like trying so far, I’ll eventually get to it at some point
- around the world, I mostly practice at home where it can’t be performed due to the proximity of many things and sometimes, people
- pop the clutch, I still struggle to get aligned properly
- UFO, I can do the actual trick but I can rarely get the yoyo back in my hand, it is tuned relatively non responsive (at least for a beginner) tho
as for intermediate section
- I can land the trapeze on occasion (landed it the very first time I’ve tried)
- rock the baby goes well, dizzy baby, I’ve never tried so far
- brain twister: I can do one, two, sometimes three loops but I have a hard time dismounting and finishing
- stop & go, got it once so far, I struggle to get the yoyo back to sleeper
- bind returns, working on it, getting there
- breakaway, getting there
now these are the issues I seem to have
improper throw: too many times the yoyo is tilted
alignment: I can’t really keep my string straight when I move for tricks
so if any of you could give me some advice on these, it would be awesome!
Now the FAST is nice and all, but I can’t stand the noise anymore, so I’m thinking about getting maybe a couple, maybe 3 more yoyos I can grow into, I also ordered a YYF Velocity V3 (waiting for it in the mail) but I’d like some advices
1st yoyo: I would like something “easy” to play for basic 1A/Beginner level, well built, well balanced, easy for beginner/intermediate/some advanced tricks maybe (beginner/intermediate will do)
2nd: I’d like something harder but more rewarding, something that’ll train me for precision and accuracy, something I can grow into and that’ll make me a better player overall, intermediate/advanced level yoyo
3rd: either something very nice to play at any level, well built/High quality, either something to practice loops
I have a job so price is not that much of an issue as long as you don’t make me buy $200 yoyos, but I can spend up to, let’s say $80/yoyo tops, but as I’ve seen, I might find plenty of good yoyos in the $20/$50 range.
Since I’m learning, try to explain and develop as much as possible
Last question: I’ll be playing outside ALOT, and with winter coming, I was wondering if I could wear gloves and/or what kind of gloves will I be looking for ? if any