Stainless steel

How does stainless steel perform, as a material for yoyos?

https://www.google.com/search?q=what+is+stainless+steel+good+for%3F&ie=utf-8&oe=utf-8

I’d say it performs pretty good as a material. It is very versatile.

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=what+is+stainless+steel+good+for%3F

Woops, I realize i worded that pretty terribly, i meant as a material on yoyos. Sorry.

Actually your first post sounded better. You don’t use Stainless ‘on’ yoyos. You use Stainless ‘for’ yoyos.

You wouldn’t say, ‘I’m using steel on my yoyos’.

You would say, ‘I’m using steel for my yoyos’.

Or, ’ How well do yoyos made from stainless steel perform’?

Regardless, your original wording was just fine.

1 Like

It works well for smaller yoyos, but I don’t think it would work that well for larger ones.

I have an ILYY St. Eel, which is a small steel yoyo:

However despite having the dimensions:

Diameter: 42.10mm
Width: 31.00mm

Which is tiny, it still weighs 62g. As you can see, like Titanium, the density of the material allows for less metal to be used at the rims to achieve the desired weight. Compare it to the Onedrop Dingo, which has similar-ish stats but is made of aluminium:

Steel has a density of between 7.75-8.05 g/cm3, compared to 4.5g for Titanium and 2.7g for 6061 aluminium. Heavy stuff.

However, I don’t believe it can be machined to the same tolerances that Titanium can whilst retaining sufficient strength. So, I can imagine that making a full sized steel yoyo that wasn’t 70g+ would be difficult, and we know that people don’t really like yoyos that heavy.

Still, would be interesting to see. I’d buy a full-sized steel just out of interest even if it weighed 90g. The St. Eel has a remarkable amount of power for such a little yoyo, I’d love to see if that scales up. :smiley:

1 Like

Several years ago when YYF came out with the G.5 yoyo’s, I always thought they should have taken the same specs and made them from stainless steel. Seems it would have resolved their only fault of being way too light to have a worth while spin time.