SPYY Punchline: A review by DJ BCIDE

INTRO + SPECS
☆ Diameter: 52.5mm
☆ Width: 43mm
☆ Gap Width: 4mm
☆ Weight: 65 grams
☆ Bearing: C-Sized Bearing
☆ Response: Recessed YoYoGuy O-Stickers (and silicone of course)
I’ve always been a fan of Guy Wright’s videos and his play style and noticed we have a very similar style. I like to take my time and make everything look as smooth, stylish and flashy as possible. Never having tried a SPYY before I was excited to finally try one. I was considering getting the PRO instead, but my gut instinct was telling me to go with the Punchline. Even though one of my big turn offs with the Punchline initially was the diameter, I was still willing to give it a shot. I’ve always preferred throws that fall into the fullsized category (around 54mm+) Will this be the throw to change my mind? Or will it quickly go to the BST in preference of something bigger? Let’s find out

AESTHETICS

The beadblast is amazing for grinds and in my opinion is the second best finish I’ve experienced next to an ILYY candyblast. It’s soft and silky without feeling like it’s going to slip out of my hand. This being the only SPYY I’ve played with I can’t attest to if this is the standard SPYY finish or a special finish strictly for the Punchline. It’s a beautiful golden orange with an aggressive Yellow splash. Orange being my favorite color, I knew I had to go with this colorway. Now (like most ano jobs I’ve seen) there are imperfections. The splash seems to have some dull spots that almost look like there’s small micro-bits of a clear ano. Some may see it is an imperfection, but I like to look at it as another thing that makes my particular throw unique. The laser engravings are beautiful and very comic book-esque. They’re very eye catching and simply say “BAM!” And of course the iconic SPYY spike is included and not only looks fantastic but is functional as well allowing rip starts (very weak ones in my case, haven’t quite gotten the hang of it yet) and matador play (which I know nothing about) but hey. they look awesome.

PLAY

WOW! For an undersized throw, (in my opinion at least) it almost feel bigger then it really is. The shape is EXTREMELY comfortable in my manly hands. My middle finger rests nicely in the gap and my index and ring finger sit snugly on the rims. (see photo)

On a throw you can feel the presence of the yo-yo at the end of the string as if it is saying, “HEY! I’M HERE AT THE END OF THE STRING! I KNOW YOU FEEL ME!!” I like this in a throw. I don’t play too fast, but for the sake of science (and this review) I tried and the Punchline always seems to slow me down and put me back in my place. On grinds of all sorts this throw really excels. The IGR is very unique and has some extra cuts in it and I feel they just magnetize to my thumb whenever I stick it in there for a grind. It barely seems to slow down no matter how long I grind with this sucker. Just keeps spinning like my grinding appendage of choice isn’t even there. It rips through my combos with ease with plenty of spin time left over for more. It’s also incredibly stable and I daresay it’s on par with the Genesis stability and spin wise.

CONCLUSION
I won’t be trading this bad boy anytime soon and I can easily see it becoming my favorite throw for the time being. I still slightly, slightly prefer my Genesis mainly for the size. But everyday I care less and less and think the Punchline may have changed my whole perception on undersized throws. If you like small yoyos, this will be right up your alley. If you like long spinning, stable yoyos, you may see this coming up your alley as well. In fact, if you like yoyos at all, there’s a very good chance you’d like this yoyo. Bottom line if you haven’t thrown one, you need to try it at least once. And if you have then you probably know exactly what I’m talking about.

SIDE NOTE
Also this is my first review and tips and feedback are HIGHLY appreciated. Thank you for taking the time to read this review

1 Like

My experience of the Punchline differs in a couple of respects from yours. For one, I don’t find that it clunks at the end of the string on a throw. And secondly, while it is much smaller in diameter than the Genesis, the Punchline is more of a midsize yoyo. Not only is it 52.5mm in diameter, but it’s on the wide side - being more than 43mm - and feels pretty full in the hand. When I think undersized I think 888, HATrick, or Yuuksta, all of which are about 50mm in diameter. Just thought I’d throw these thoughts out there to give a different perspective on what you might expect this throw to feel like.

Perhaps “clunks” wasn’t the best word. I feel it has a very strong presence at the end of the string.
Thanks for clearing the categorization up for me. So for future reference:
undersize = less than or around 50mm
midsize = 51mm-54mm?
oversize = 54mm+?
and how does width play into this formula?

Thanks for the input I’ll have to change some of my wording around :slight_smile:

I’d say midsized is 52 to 54, but it really depends on the overall size of the yoyo, which is why I noted the width of the Punchline, which makes it feel bigger than other yoyos in the 52mm diameter range. And I’d call 54 to 57 “full sized” and then anything bigger than that “oversized.”

1 Like

Thank you. That makes sense, I’ll keep it in mind for future reviews and just…well…the future :smiley: