Some say not doing breakaways is a bad thing...

Direction the yoyo is spinning determines life or death…

I think grinds might be different too.

For some people on the first page, it is apparently :stuck_out_tongue:

I’m a lefty and I have absolutely no idea what you mean by that. Binds staying the same…?

I feel if you know which way to turn to do your front-throw so you can convert that to side style play, then that’s fine.

If it’s not interfering with your ability to do your tricks, then what difference does it ultimately make? There’s usually more than one way to get many things done. If someone can throw it front style harder and faster and stronger and straighter, why force them to throw a bad break-away if they have a better way of getting there?

I hear the argument about the direction of spin, and that’s important but it can be dealt with. I figure if I face forward, then turn to the left and throw a sleeper, or turn to the right to do it… right now I wonder which way would be correct for me to face forward the same way again so I can go into a regular bind when I’m done. I really don’t see this being more critical than that. If I’ve thrown the yoyo and I was facing the right direction so the spin is in the correct direction, then honestly what difference does it make? Grinds, binds, hops, slacks, whips, whatever… it will all in the end be the same thing.

Now I may feel about a bit of experimenting tonight to figure out which way I should face so I can front throw and then be in proper orientation and spin direction to do my regular pathetic 1A. I’m also not going to stop working on my breakaway, which is rather good.

I meant the direction of spin… Depends on which way you throw the yo, and binds depend on the direction of spin… I think Studio explained it very well.

Ive noticed i cant do a lot of tricks with a frontsyle throw, the string gets all poopy in the gap an stuff.

Exactly. If do some combos geared towards frontstyle using a Breakaway, your knuckles are at risk :stuck_out_tongue:

Alexis JV can throw a breakaway and sidestyle; but his style is frontstyle. Saying that frontsyle is bad technique for learning yo, is like saying that 5A is bad technique for learning 1A. …“No, it’s not! It’s 5A!”

Alexis > Worlds 2013

I throw depending on the trick I’m going to do. Some need rejections on a certain side of the yoyo and some don’t so I use regenerations a lot. Both throws are great.

Alexis has been one of my biggest influences. Just search up Alexis JV Her. Can you say jaw dropping?

I started with frontstyle learned a breakaway and now i barely get into frontstyle, only really to show someone boing boing for those “wow” moments hahaha.

Just do a wrist mount boing boing. :wink:

I have never considered anything other than learning both, simply because when I looked for tutorials, they either started with “throw a sleeper” or “throw a breakaway”. It never occurred to me to “specialize” in one or another.

But watching Alexis JV, who has been a favourite since I started yoyoing, made it pretty clear how much you can get out of a mostly-frontstyle approach. Doing some pretty bad____ frontstyle never hurt Mark Montgomery, either…! Sanchez202 is clearly rocking some amazing combos and creating unique tricks on frontstyle throws.

So even though I don’t myself tend to throw one way or the other (in fact, I’d love to regen better so that I can seamlessly go between them!) I can’t imagine anyone in the world recommending that it’s “better” to learn your tricks one way or the other. Don’t we value doing things differently?

Traditional suicides would be risky from a front throw…

“My face!! My beautiful face!!!”

Not doing breakaways is a bad thing.
-some

1 Like

Wouldn’t it be easiest just to turn your body and throw frontstyle and turn back so the yoyo spins like a breakaway but you threw it like a frontstyle throw?

It’s not too far off from how I actually throw a breakaway. :wink:

I think part of the point, though, is that some of these players CAN throw breakaways and choose not to. Having the yoyo spinning in reverse is inconsequential to some tricks, will make some tricks difficult or impossible, and will create opportunities for new tricks that you cannot easily do any other way.

1 Like

or you could just take a few minutes and learn a breakaway. it’s not harder then a trapeze.

Althought a lot of thing are being said here, I see Alexis often at the club, and he seems to be able to do whatever he want off a frontstyle throw. Practice, practice and more practice. I dont get it myself, and I’m partial to the breakaway, but whatever floats you boat…

They know the breakaway.