Solidarity for Small Business Owners

I did network security consulting: incident response, red teaming, penetration testing, vulnerability testing, etc. I also did a lot of software development for companies who needed tools they couldn’t buy off the shelf. I fell into consulting by contributing to various open source projects, and I kept getting contacted for help with one thing or another. Next thing I knew I was doing it full time, word of mouth kept me busy. I never had to advertise or do other things to get business which was nice. Now I work on developing new techniques to better defend our networks, find and fix bugs more quickly, etc.

I don’t know how well any of this applies to your space, but for any kind of boutique consultant which is where I imagine you fit the main challenge is finding the folks who are willing to pay for your skills. Having a large network among your professional peers is a good first step. I know some have had luck leveraging linkedin and other business oriented social networks. If you’ve made some significant publications make sure the companies who might be able to use the advancements you made know you are available for hire.

One last piece of advice, find a good contract lawyer, they are worth the cost. A poorly written contract with the wrong guy can ruin you. It will be tempting to do your own books, but I’d advise an accountant, the IRS can really ruin your day and it gets complicated if you’re working internationally.

Best of luck!

4 Likes

Thanks so much for all of this advice! Much appreciated.

In CA and NY, all “Non-essential” businesses are forcibly closed for the foreseeable future. That means no income for a lot of people simply because they aren’t allowed to go to their jobs. Most businesses can’t operate if they can’t let their workers work; most businesses aren’t the kind that do work which can be done over the Internet. What has happened in CA and NY will eventually happen everywhere, I feel pretty certain of that.

So, how is a company like One Drop coping with this? They have a machine shop that, if it were in CA, would not be legally allowed to open its doors or have any employees working there. How will they continue to exist as a business when Oregon does the same thing that CA and NY have done?

1 Like

Situation in Mumbai has turned out into curfew. All essential commodities have a timeline and you need to be a early bird to grab food for the day. You can go out only if there’s a medical emergency. They are beating up people if on road without any valid reason. I know the situation in US and Europe is much worse than here, i can only imagine the fear out there. Running a small yoyo business, I have multiple packages that I’m for like ages now. Most of my savings are blocked in those packages. Maybe it’d have been better to keep some extra funds since there’s no clarity when we go back to normalcy

4 Likes

I don’t think One Drop would be affected at all. They are an in house, small staff job shop.

The don’t have groups of people patronizing their Shop.

They have no social distancing obstacles.

There are many Businesses that don’t even get factored in to the essential/non essential category.

Even if One Drop was scrutinized for possible closure. I don’t see them having to close down.

Shawn could be there by himself. Doing everything he does in the privacy of his own building.

And nobody would say a thing.

I’m not quite clear on how One Drop even came up in this conversation?

Regardless, One Drop has such a small staff; I doubt they would even come under the radar.

They do not fall within the parameter of the guidelines considered.

PS… you have to get a better understanding of ‘non essential’ Businesses.

For example; Home Depot’s are still open. Because Hardware stores are considered ‘essential’.

And just by nature of functionality; A very large hardware store generates a substantially higher potential to facilitate the exponential transfer of a high risk contagion than a stand alone Machine shop.

5 Likes

At least part of my business is in the same boat.

I have monthly tenants who should be able to work/practice in their rooms with no issue. As long as they are solvent, I’ll have some revenue.

Governor Kemp gave a pretty empty shelter in place order with things like:

“…banning all gatherings more than 10 people, and requiring all Georgians at high risk for COVID-19 to shelter-in-place.” yet, “Gatherings over 10 people are permitted if participants are able to maintain 6 feet of distance between them.” What!?

I have a church that meets at my building. They are probably around 15-20 people. They are stubborn, and want to meet until they are ordered specifically not to. At this point, with those instructions, I’m inclined to let them use their own discretion.

Edit: The church called and said they couldn’t practically stay 6’ apart, so they have cancelled the next two weeks.

2 Likes

Didn’t Trump rant about a 50 Billion injection for small businesses? Where’s that?

2 Likes

I’m not sure what’s going on there. I know the huge stimulus package is hung up right now.

I need to check to be sure, but the person with my bank made it sound like the SBA already had money put aside for their borrowers.

The stimulus package is highly political, which is keeping it mired in partisan deadlock.

3 Likes

Absolutely correct. Just the other day, Nancy Pelosi presented the Democrats pitch that they may go along with the Stimulus package if the Republicans would allow a few Global Warming ‘riders’ to be included.

Which is sort of the standard political Blackmail that is common practice in Washington. The ENTIRE nations’ future may be at stake.
But the Democrats are willing to use ‘leverage’ to get their way or they won’t ‘play’.

Honestly, how important are global warming issues on the short game; if there is no population in the long game?

This is not a blame game post or a Political forum. And both sides do the same thing given the chance.

I just think that since ‘we’ are the ones that vote all these clowns into office in the first place. That in such a Worldwide MESS we are currently in. That they would come together(no matter how difficult) and impress us for voting them in, in the first place.

4 Likes

4 Likes

Killing enough of us off would go a long way towards solving the global warming issues! :crazy_face:

Yeah, in general this partisanship is getting so tiring, and now’s definitely not the time for it.

4 Likes

We get the leaders we deserve.

“As democracy is perfected, the office of president** represents, more and more closely, the inner soul of the people. On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart’s desire at last and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.” - H.L. Mencken

** actually most all elected officials.

4 Likes

sadly you are proberbly correct :cry:

This is quickly getting to political territory which is not allowed here, but I got the impression the current plan was only bailing out big companies with no strings attached … basically favoring Wall Street over Main Street? That has been the status quo with the current administration sadly.

What about the people? Where are the small businesses in all this? Main Street, not Wall Street.

2 Likes

$350 billion in small business loans is in the stimulus package, and the small business administration can serve as guarantor on up to $10 billion. $1200 to every adult making less than $75k, $500 for each child; all on a sliding scale that phases out when you make more than $99k.

Is it good/will it work and how deep will this recession go are all speculation and or politics.

1 Like

I see a deal on a $2 Trillion package was reached.

I guess this money just gets created out of thin air? Fiat money…

3 Likes

. . .printed of of thin air, backed by nothing. Ahhh the good ole fed reserve making more monopoly paper. It will make the prices of everything seem to rise but really its just the value of the dollar plummeting from extreme hyperinflation.

Our store is not gonna be able to reopen i dont think. How long do I need to wait to file for unemployment?

2 Likes