Software Developers - what technologies do you use?

Nice. We just made it in the top ten of the huntress CTF. Just waiting for the next fun one which are not THM or HTB.

1 Like

Have the kids in your class seen your skills or your yoyos?

1 Like

Iā€™m famous around the school for it.

5 Likes

Iā€™m a Digital Training Manager/Web Dev at an advertising agency. I work mainly with the Jamstack, specifically 11ty, but we also do a bunch of custom WordPress work using Trellis/Sage.

Over the years Iā€™ve done loads of PHP, Python, and Ruby, as well as the web dev standard stuff like HTML, CSS, JS, etcā€¦

I got my start as a Linux Sys Admin, and gradually moved over to dev throughout my career.

3 Likes

The real developer here

As the cyber security engineer here Iā€™ll be reporting all of you to your respective CISO for remedial cyber security training during the holidays. Merry Christmas :slight_smile:

On an on topic note other than some basic VB and C++ or python Iā€™ve mostly stayed away from coding in my career. My current role i spend most of my time looking at system security plans and comparing NIST controls.

6 Likes

You must be a Senior level developer! Youā€™re smart enough to go straight for the answers instead of banging your head against the wall for hours.

1 Like

Sounds like a very fun job! Would love to get into this space.

1 Like

Iā€™ve got a BS in CS and use Java, PHP, shell scripts get most of my coding work done (which is less now that SAS has taken over most of our sw needs).

A lot of what Iā€™d otherwise be writing code for has been accomplished with grep patterns in BBedit, combined with VLOOKUP, IF, IFERROR etc in Excel.

ā€¦and topical side note, I wrote a very simple desktop app for a friendā€™s company and was recently asked to convert it to a web app. I told them to try one of the find-a-coder freelance sites (Iā€™m too busy). A few days later I heard back ā€œno problem, we just figured out how to ask ChatGPT to do the same thing that the program does.ā€

2 Likes

I make games / VR learning modules with Unity/C#.

4 Likes

I did some VR rehabilitation research before at my previous work as a lab researcher, Now I work in a company that works on energy management solutions so its mostly python, plsql for me, and my side job is just design yoyos :rofl:

1 Like

Very cool to read all the different areas of expertise and the many technologies being used in your everyday jobs. Please keep it coming.

I was not aware so many were in the security field. I know I just LOVE working tirelessly to satisfy our security folksā€¦ :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Ohh yes system engineers and solution architects love when cyber governance folks ask Them for an updated SSP (system security plan) or to update their network/dataflow diagrams. I just know everyone is super excited when I ask where is the vulnerability scanning and logging taking place and for the latest inventory and vulnerability report so I can compare and check if your following your patching schedule. Yep. Folks just love us security engineers. Btw Surprise you have compulsory safe online practices training. Enjoy and merry Christmas.

With love,

• security team
4 Likes

A long time ago in another time and place ā€œFORTRAN BE VERY VERY GOOD TO ME.ā€ Then I moved into VAX and Solaris sys admin, with DCL and C and various unix scripting which pretty well dates meā€¦ :nauseated_face:

8 Likes

I relate to this :slightly_frowning_face:

Iā€™m not a Developer as we typically contract that out to third parties, but I am an End User of integrity data systems for the energy sector. I collect data and then enter it and build entities and assets for analytics. Every now and them I do need to get into the backend Sequal Tables if we need to move things around. I do work closely with developers and IT as I find lots of bugs and glitches in our systems. So yeah, I write a lot of Help Desk tickets.

3 Likes

I remember when, in my first run through college, our CS dept was very excited that they got a some new VAX. The workstations were flat and white with nice keyboards and amber screens. I remember an audible futuristic (I assumed computer generated) soft clicking sound the keys made.

My father in law still does contract work to re write old Fortran systems, power builder various other antiquated coding languages still a bunch of that stuff floating about especially in the government sector. Iā€™ve had hands on experience with a few of them but honestly thatā€™s a tad out of my wheel house. Now talk
About some token ring networks and playing with hubs. Thatā€™s my jam.

1 Like

I truly miss Sun Microsystems.

Edit: I worked at one of the first Sun NFS installations ever. We used Sun workstations for options-arbitrage trading and quantitative analysis at Oā€™Connor & Associates in Chicago. This was so long ago that the fact that we were using computers with a Network File System (NFS) to do our options-valuations was considered a trade-secret. A ten-gigabyte disk drive was $25,000 and was the size of a small refrigerator.

Trivia: Sun = Stanford University Network

2 Likes

Necro: I recently fell down a path of AR development, currently learning Unity and ARCore for android applications.

3 Likes