So what makes CLYW so popular?

Hype.

This+some hype.

I like CLYW because they are really smooth, feel nice in the hand and they look amazing. The best thing about them in my opinion is that they relax me and they don’t look or feel like a competitive throw (yet they very well can be). I don’t feel like I have to start throwing a jaw dropping combo when I pick it up. My favorite throw is the hulk smash blizzard puffin and when I throw it I don’t want to do a sick combo I just want to watch it spin. This is why I think so many people like them, because of the craftsmanship and art that went into it

Think it’s a matter of just proper representation of a good quality product that isn’t overpriced.

I hope CLYW makes another undersize yoyo at some point. A spiritual successor to the Bassalope would be sweet.

This thread makes me want the word hype to not exist. Why is there a five page thread regarding the popularity of a yoyo company anyway? Let’s all just go play and forget this. They ARE just yoyos in the end.
CLYW is popular because they’re a good company. It doesn’t get more simple than that.

Any thoughts on the topic? I know you have had strong opinions on the price in the past, do you have any on why the company endures I the face of such high prices?

How dare people discuss yoyos on a yoyo discussion forum.

8 Likes

Yoyos are cool, but why is company popularity important? CLYW is popular because they’re a good company that makes good yoyos. There’s no hype to it.

1 Like

I don’t think the OP stated or implied that popularity was “important.” Some of the posts are about interest, curiosity, wanting to learn, wanting advice or to share opinions. If we all posted based on things being “important,” we would rarely see anything posted at all.

The main thing I’ve taken from this topic so far is that I weep at the idea of what kind of blazer a person is wearing on Casual Friday at the office if they’re pairing it with Banana Republic jeans

I think the only one who really needs to take anything from the topic, is the one who posted it. Anyone else who does not like the topic, but posts here, has devoted some time to read it, post, and bump the thread in the process. So, it must be worth some attention. :-\

What makes Nike popular?

They advertise, make high quality products, have professionals wear their stuff, own stores across the US (world?)… And so on

Why is some random company like… Errr… BCG not popular?

They don’t have advertisements (that I have seen) they don’t have pros wear their clothes, they don’t have stores, and they sell them in cheap places.

I’m just happy CLYW isn’t like Beats.

Haha Nike. People are complaining about CLYW prices when a pair of Nike or Jordan’s cost like $5-$10 to make. And they charge $60-$260 :wink: Still love Nikes though…

1 Like

Give me a pair of Chucks any day of the week. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I didn’t go through here and read all of the posts. As a matter of fact I only read the first 4 posts, so if someone has already said this then my bad.

I believe what makes the so popular at this point in time is the perfect blend of performance and personality that their yoyos have. I’m not saying all of them have it, but the Chief and others in their lineup have a great amount of what I believe are 2 of the top factors that determines whether or not someone likes a yoyo.

Companies like Yoyorecreation make yoyos that are just above and beyond anything CLYW (or most other companies) has in the performance category, but I don’t have as much fun playing with a YYR as I do a CLYW.

Then you have what I call the personality factor. It’s hard to explain what it is, but there is something that makes certain yoyos more fun to play than others. CLYW yoyos are great performers. Not close to YYR when you get down to the nitty gritty, but CLYW’s just have a feeling to them that makes them fun to play. I feel this with General Yo products too, but they have a little less personality and a little more performance than most CLYW’s.

All together I think that the “personality” of a yoyo is determined by a few things.

1. The color of the yoyo. CLYW’s have nice colorways. Even though there a so many different colors going on with them it works. It just looks good.
  2. The finish of the yoyo. CLYW finishes are great for grinds. Even if you don’t do grind tricks it’s just nice to be able to pop the yoyo up in your hand and it feel so smooth. General Yo’s have superb finishes, and I believe that adds to their yoyos appeal just as the finish on CLYW’s do too.
  3. The smoothness. This is where I believe CLYW and General Yo differ in factors contributing to appeal of the yoyo, but even though they’re opposite, the qualities add to each companies popularity. CLYW yoyos usually come with a tiny bit of vibe, and it just seems like different vibe than other yoyos. So much so that people have coined the term “CLYW vibe”. A lot of people like this and that adds to the popularity. General Yo’s are the opposite. Most of their yoyos are absolutely, completely, dead smooth. It’s a smoothness I’ve never felt in any other brand, and I like it.
  4. The play of the yoyo. As someone mentioned previously, a lot of CLYW’s have a good amount of float to them. I think this is something that contributes to personality also. It is just more fun to play with a floaty yoyo than it is a solid feeling yoyo (For a lot of people anyway. Many prefer solid playing yoyos).
    And Lastly,
  5. The packaging. Packing adds to the personality of a yoyo, and CLYW have some of the best if not the best packaging there is. Everybody who’s had a CLYW enjoys the small brown box with the hand stamped artwork that was specifically made for that yoyo. Then once you open it you see that the yoyo is wrapped in the brown cardboard like paper that nobody else uses. Owning a CLYW yoyo is just a unique experience.

Anyway, I think those 5 things determine a yoyos “personality”, and coupled with the performance of CLYW yoyos they are highly sought after.

1 Like

I think you and many others have said it well in the past. The price is the price. Buy it if you want.

I have already expressed my opinion on this thread a few pages back. CLYW is popular because they are magnificent marketers of yo-yo’s that happen to be superior performing products too.

I do not recall expressing any opinions about the relative price of CLYW; I may be mistaken though. Most of my purchases have been from Yoyorecreation and the like, so CLYW does not seem that pricey to me.

What do you think CLYW “endures”; besides amazingly fast selling yo-yo’s and relentless criticism about their prices? I think they can take it.

Well I’ll tell you all one thing. I refuse to buy another full retail CLYW!

…until the Puffin 2 is released in a couple weeks

I think the easiest way to solve the price problem is simply to buy them second hand/during sales.

I got my Puffin for $100.00 brand new during a sale in our UK store.

I got my BVM2 (completely MIB) for $90.00 off a B/S board.

That’s an $80.00 saving over 2 yoyos, which is enough to buy a third if I wanted to…I’d say that at least 60% of my collection I have aquired off b/s threads for this exact reason.

Bleargh. I spent like $200 on a pair a few years ago and ended up giving them to my mate because I never used them. I was using my $20.00 cheap pair instead because I preferred the sound quality. :stuck_out_tongue: