Slingshot anybody?

Building and shooting slingshots is one of my favorite pastimes, I got into them while using a store bought wrist rocket, and was never really impressed with their performance so I decided to start designing and making my own. Anybody else here into this?

17 Likes

Nice, looks amazing! I could never get my aim down…

2 Likes

What a shot!!!

3 Likes

It takes a little figuring out, but once you get a feel of where your anchor point should be it’s much easier. You can lollipop the target just like a shotgun or rifle, hold the slingshot with the forks sideways instead of straight up and down, and align your target directly above the corner of the top fork. If your shots are going high, raise your pouch hand to adjust the anchor point, if the show is going low, the lower your pouch hand to raise the trajectory of your round.

4 Likes

Thanks!

1 Like

You wanted the maple burl yoyo, right?

3 Likes

Yeah that was me, I just don’t know about what laws there is to ship a piece of the wood untreated out of the country. It is wood I cut out of my own woods and has never been heat treated to kill bugs or anything that might be in it. Do you know anything about laws concerning such things?

3 Likes

Oooh. Australia is very strict on this sort of thing. If you could get a small piece and find somewhere where you could get it treated, then no problem.

However, even if it hasn’t been treated and it’s dry and clearly has no insect damage whatsoever, they might actually let it through anyway.

Why don’t you give US customs a call and the Australian embassy in the the US a call. They should be able to tell you very quickly whether it’s OK or not.

6 Likes

I’ll check that out for sure, it would be awesome to have a Yoyo that matches one of my favorite slingshots

2 Likes

Do that! Also, the burl can’t have any spalting because as you know, that’s a kind of mold.

3 Likes

I have a couple store boughts. Like, $15 or so. Terrified of the sling snapping. I just use them to hit cans. I’d never shoot at living things. It takes A LOT of practice.

2 Likes

Oh shoot, the piece I have is really spalted, I may just have to try and find a wood turner local to me and try it out that way. Or maybe I can find another Burl that isn’t spalted

2 Likes

Some store bought aren’t to bad, but I find the rubber to generally be a much heavier pull than what’s necessary to get the job done, and I’m not a big fan of the tubes anyways. You are right, it does take a lot of practice but I have shooting for several years and do go small game hunting and sometimes pest control around my house. I would never recommend anybody to try to hunt with one until the can hit let’s say a gold ball sized target at a realistic range very consistently.

1 Like

Oh bummer. If you posted that it would be incinerated on arrival.

See if you can source a small piece of unspalted burl.

3 Likes

That certainly is a solution to your dilemma.

But that woodturner ain’t gonna turn you a Harbinger. :blush:

3 Likes

Maybe I could order a yo-yo from you In a species of wood you already have on hand, and when you ship it to me, maybe I could pay a little extra to have you include a little block of the same wood you made the yo-yo out of so I can make a little slingshot to go with it?

2 Likes

That’s pretty impressive! How far away is the target at?

2 Likes

This was from a few years ago but if I remember correctly about 15 yards, and thanks!

1 Like

Alternatively, I could just turn it out of a wood that you will be able to readily find where you live. Would white oak fit the bill?

3 Likes

Do you have access to more wood like this one here? I would love something with grain this beautiful, and I have A lot of various pine and spruce trees around that would pair up quite nice

3 Likes