Slack tricks: best string?

I’ve always just used normal kitty string, it makes do… but im looking for the best all-around string for slack tricks. Looking for something that’s readily available too… nothing worse than finding a string you like and then never being able to find it in stock again

2 Likes

I think Sochi is better than kitty in general. What I’ve been learning very recently is how little I know about string tension. and I know several string tension removal tricks etc been throwing for years. But with this new resurgence into the hobby during quarantine I have learned that maintaining good tension is the best for the lifespan of the string and you ease of learning tricks.

With that said. I’ve been trying all types of strings recently as I got back into this like I said. I will say the skyline III from Zipline is notably expensive but the weight of the string really makes slack fly into place. its the exact definition of “whippier” now with there is also Eric Koloski’s Venom from Stringlabs. it is a poly but man it holds tension and has better life than kitty or Sochi by a long shot. BY A LONG SHOT. it’s in the middle of the price margins. The way this hold tension makes slack tricks super easy. https://shop.yoyoexpert.com/collections/yo-yo-string/products/yo-yo-string-lab-venom?variant=18872998340

2 Likes

+1 on this. My go to is kitty fat and the couple skyline III strings I’ve tried last a ridiculously long time in comparison. They’re also super soft but require a little bit of a break in before that initial elastic feeling is gone.

The longevity makes up for low price of bulk poly

1 Like

No I mean the venom is the better poly that’s mid price cuz it’s lifetime. But the skyline is the most pro feeling and softest cuz it’s the nylon blend. I throw one on my favorite favorite throws

Thicker string in general is good for whips and slacks. However, thin string is better for tech. Since many slack tricks also incorporate loads of tech elements, I’d go for a dense thin string.

1 Like

Airetics are THE slack string. Wooly nylon is so dense and elastic that it moves at speeds that are simply impossible for regular polyester strings to achieve.

1 Like

Thanks for the replies! ended up ordering a bunch of stuff to test the waters :slight_smile:

1 Like

what type of string would you classify as “dense and thin”?

the strings that whip and slack better when compared to others of the same thickness.

That is what I did and is really the best course. Find out what works best for you, then stock up.

I would try using some of markmont formulas, like Cumulus foam, or dragon. Cumulus foam and skylines are my favorite boutique strings. From my experience if you want big looping slacks I would recommend cumulus foam, I think skylines are very soft, premium, and more “all around” but cumulus foam is quite course or textured, stiff, and noticeably snappier/heavier for me.

Cumulus foam is one of the only boutique strings that I have felt the need to buy again since they offer such a unique experience to me, its like playing with a rope in the best possible way. I also want to mention that markmont formulas have about 10 strings that are all quite different. I normally use kitty fat for bulk string but have recently tried plutonium strings and I liked those all around more.

You can buy them on YYE here, but right now some strings are out of stock, but marks guide and string descriptions highlights the differences in the strings.

1 Like