Silly reason you have not bought a Shutter

This may be the weirdest reason for not buying a Shutter. Every time I see that camera “shutter” design, I can’t help but think of the Andre Agassi commercials for Canon in the 90’s and I’m like “nope”

8 Likes

Kinda hoping they have this as an engraving now.

7 Likes

One Drop exists.

But maybe I’m waiting for the halloween themed release

6 Likes

I didn’t buy one for the longest time because I heard they were boring to play with. I now have a WA, a championship WA, and a Butter. At first I thought it was boring as people said, but the more I played with it, I found it to be a really great yoyo. The Butter is top tier.

11 Likes

I love Gentry! Great ambassador for yoyo, puts a lot back into the community. At one point he was doing one on one chat lessons.
I got one 6 months into my throwing career, price was a steal. I think every serious yoyo’er will own one at some point too. Just because it’s a landmark yo-yo in the yo-yo timeline and they are so numerous. Oh + look the shiz!!!

But, its just not my shape and play style, he resides in his original transparent plastic prison in a drawer.

4 Likes

Lol weird… I’m reading his autobiography right now where he talks about how the Canon “Image is Everything” campaign really pissed him off. Cool seeing this old pic.

As for the shutter… I won’t lie I’ve become one of those hipsters that doesn’t wanna buy YYF. That said I’ve tried a pragma which I felt was OK and a Bind that I absolutely hated. I do kind of want to get a old 888 and DNA for nostalgia purposes though. The shutter just doesn’t really look like my kind of throw

5 Likes

My dumb reason: the front/engraving.

Just looks cheap. Makes me think early 2000s word art in a power point presentation.

Also not a big fan of gentry. Yeah he’s sick at yoyo but seems to have an inflated ego. For example, I just saw on one of his latest IG posts where he teaches a beginner trick. But he renamed the trick because he said he didn’t like the original name. Which doesn’t sound like much but just felt a bit disrespectful to whoever first came up with the trick. Silly but at the end of day it puts me off getting any product with his name on it.

3 Likes

Butter is excellent I agree

3 Likes

Because it’s still in stock😂

8 Likes

I had to get one though as especially amongst beginners shutter is somewhat used as a reference yoyo when comparing others, I just had to try it.
I’m glad I did though, I know the shutter gets a lot of love and a lot of hate, the more I use it, the more I actually really like it, makes me regret having sold my b-grade butter… should have held on to it…

Also regarding the aesthetics of the engraving, haha problem solved? or made it worse?
Either way this is the shutter that I own 2 of.

10 Likes

Definitely made it better! Looks great :smiley:

2 Likes

I’ve got 2… planning on a third purely for colorway… also planning on Galaxy WA.

1 Like

I’d rather just spend the money on more Mantras.

2 Likes

I’m waiting for the 60’s flower power edition.

1 Like

Yeah he’s sick at yoyo but seems to have an inflated ego. For example, I just saw on one of his latest IG posts where he teaches a beginner trick. But he renamed the trick because he said he didn’t like the original name. Which doesn’t sound like much but just felt a bit disrespectful to whoever first came up with the trick. Silly but at the end of day it puts me off getting any product with his name on it.

I looked into it and for those interested this is the post. Gentry changed the name from “Texas Cowboy” to “Jumpman.”

Not arguing for or against it, but I can understand why he would. He’s on TikTok as the face of YYF, “Jumpman” is a much more neutral name for people who don’t yoyo vs. “Texas Cowboy.”

For example, the “CLYW Chief” hasn’t been re-released, since the name is disrespectful (CLYW said this).

4 Likes

I honestly think the entire Shutter series are some of the most well designed yoyos you can buy for the price. And the Butter is something else, it’s out of this world good. These were some of my first purchases when I got back into throwing last year, and while I’ve purchased quite a few since then, I keep coming back to these and always have an appreciation for them.

6 Likes

So, what is wrong with raising cattle and being from Texas?

7 Likes

Absolutely nothing, I’m from an area that relies heavily on cattle farming. I have nothing but respect for ranchers and farmers - regardless of where they’re from.

Gentry’s reach on TikTok or Instagram, is huge. Like it or not, he brings in a lot of new yoyoers to this community, thus he has a level of responsibility to represent this community positively.

My point is that he didn’t change the name because of his ego. He changed it to be more politically correct as the name “Texas Cowboy” might be seen as offensive to some people. But “Jumpman” doesn’t have any negative or positive connotation to it.

That’s why I included the CLYW Chief example. You and I may not find it offensive, but people outside the yoyo community might.

2 Likes

My Mom always told me how very special I am. Believing her I’ve just been waiting for someone to give this special guy a Shutter. I’ve been patient. I’ve been very, very, patient. Still there has been no Shutter. I think I might just have to buy my special self my own Shutter. Gives me the shudders! :scream:

3 Likes

Can we get an F in the chat for my Shutter WA collection guys?

4 Likes