Siliconing a yoyo - Recess or flush?

I fint the rounded corner of like a creditcard style gift card recesses it the perfect amount

While the Permatex brand is recommended(it’s what I use), it’s NOT the only stuff.

I may be ignorant on a good many things in the world, but I’m positive there are plenty of roads and cars in Norway.
Someone said go to an auto parts store. Tell them what you’re looking for. You want flowable silicone that is used for sealing windows and glass. I have no clue what the availability of such products is. The same brand also makes gasket making silicone products as well, in blue, red and black, and people have been using those products for years with favorable results. It’s a bit messier to install, but it works just fine. What works best? It’s a matter of preferences.

I rarely silicone anything (pads work so much better) but when I do, flush.

I silicone every thing. I like to silicone them recessed a good bit that way they’re perfect right after they dry.

Flush is the way to go! If permatex isn’t available in Norway any window sealant should do. But, considering that you’re from Europe, your best bet is to track down a tube of Motorsil D

I’m pretty terrible at siliconing, so it’s sort of a mix of flush and recess.

Depending on the throw, I’ll either recess it or go with flush. Most of the time, it’s recessed.

1 Like

Doesn’t seem like this was brought up before, which is unfortunate, because I don’t like to be the bearer of bad news.

To my knowledge, the Difeyo juggernaut doesn’t take silicone. It uses difeyo pads, and therefore has quite a shallow recess. In order for a yoyo to accept silicone, you need a recess a little deeper than a .555 pad recess.

If you want my recommendation on what pads you use, duncan silicone pads are great. Nice tight binds and long lasting.

Though, for future reference, you want either RTV silicone (you can get it pretty much anywhere), or flowable silicone. Flowable is a little harder to find in store, though. Also when siliconing a yoyo that can take silicone, make sure there are no bubbles. Bubbles can cause silicone to rip out.

1 Like

Crap! That’s a super important point.

I don’t memorize stuff like this. I have a database that I log this stuff in for my personal stuff.

Duncan silicone stickers are pretty decent. Are the Dif .555 pads pretty common thought?

technically, flowable silicone is also RTV. RTV just means room-temperature vulcanizing, which just means it cures at room temperature.

Just go to your local dollar store/99 cent store and pick up some of the silicone they have there. It comes in red (high temp), blue, black, clear, or grey. atleast at mine it does. I typically just get red because it’s easy to see, and, while it doesn’t actually matter, can withstand higher temperatures. Which if your yoyo is getting to 400+ degrees, there’s something wrong. lol

As far as your initial question, I find slight recess to be better. Just use a spoon as opposed to a card and it should be fine.

mind went BOOOM!!!
I totally did not see what his yoyo was!
I need to pay attention to that better!
Glad you caught it.
Sily wont work. You need pads.

Hmmm. Lol. Though, are you sure that the Juggernaut wont take silicone?
And the Duncan SG will fit?

No not sg thats like a k pad. he means the big black silicone ones

Yoyos today have kind of moved away from .555 pads, but the majority of pad yoyos use .555 pads. General yo pads, duncan pads (the big black ones), chaz pads, difeyo pads, are all .555 just to name a few.

And yes, if the Juggernaut has a .555 pad recess, it’s abilities to hold silicone is sketchy at best.

Ok. So i started poking the silicone out of the recess. It doesnt pop out in few, large bits at all. A bit of a mess to remove. Anything i can use to loosen up/dissolve the silicone, not harming the anodization?

Rubbing alcohol works pretty well for me.

Toothpicks tend to work great. they are thin and don’t scratch anno.

I usually just use a needle or exacto knife. ive never worried about scratching that response are because if its one that can take sili and im replacing it, the scratches will just give the sili more to grip to. I would use a needle in your case too. any scratches ont show and in theory should stll help give the pad more to gab too.

Thats the mechanical way of doing it - is there a chemical way of doing it?
Around the recess, like on the outside of it there’s some to. Its more of a thin film, cant really scratch it off

well since what you used is more caulk then flowable i would try caulk remover. you should be able to buy it at any hardware store