Silicone help

Every time i silicone my yoyos the silicone only stays in for like one day. I let it dry for atleast twelve hours before i use it. How can i make it stay in longer? It doesn’t just fall out but it also just rips out in little pieces at a time

You need to let it set for 24 hours.

1 Like

24 hours won’t make it stay longer. Before you re-apply the silicone. do this. Take a Q-tip, dip it in alcohol and clean the recess (area the silicone goes in). Then take an awl or an icepick or something pionty and sharp and scratch the bottom and sides of the recess. It’s risky so be careful. Then re-clean the area like you did the first time and let the alcohol evaporate. Then re-apply the silicone. !2 hours is plenty for it to dry. The reason they say 24 hours is because it was made for the auto industry. The cure time is to keep the oils off of the silicone so it can cure properly.

There is no oils like that in a yoyo. I’ve let mine cure for 4 hours and it was fine for 6 months. Then I did something stupid and ripped it out. lol

1 Like

You were born? :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue: :stuck_out_tongue:

Are you making sure to fill up the recess or are you making it start out recessed? Starting out with the silicone recessed will decrease it’s life quite a bit because it has to be pretty grippy to work and then the grippiness runs out.

icthus is one of the good modders out there and deserves to be born!!lol
anyways… 6 MONTHS icthus???
what yoyo and what sili??

My Lyn still has silicone that I put in it about a year ago. How long the silicone lasts is directly proportional to how good of job you do. You really clean the recess out and get a perfect silicone job where there are no air bubbles. Then you have a yo-yo with silicone that can last for a year or longer. I used red gasketmaker for that Lyn Fury.

Scratch as in destroy the anno??? Will this work for Genesis? Because Genesis has a really unrecessed recess.

As far as I know the Genesis uses the same k-pad response as my Superstar. I have silicone in my Superstar right now and it is holding just fine. Just clean out the recess and put the silicone in there, Batryn.

It was projam that I modded. Red RTV