Best amount of flowable silicon?

Hey guys, I am not exactly new to siliconing yoyos but I am definitely still learning. So right now my question is how much silicon I actually want to put in? I am trying to find a balance between unresponsive play and the silicon lasting a while. I’ve read people saying their silicon can last them months but I’ve never gotten it to last me more than a few weeks. Any other general tips would be welcome. Thanks!

Silicon is an element, and it’s hard. Silicone is a polymer of many different elements, and used in yo-yo response.

I (try to) apply silicone so that when it is flush with the surface of the yo-yo, and there is no concave. I usually end up with a little bit of concave, though.

Most others take more out when they are applying silicone, though. This is done by scraping the still not-set silicone off with a card/spoon/finger/what-have-you.

Does your silicone fall out, or does it wear out so binds do not stick?

If it’s the later, more silicone will help.

If it’s the former, try cleaning the recess better (scrape with toothpick) and put big gashes in the response groove so the silicone has more surface area to stick to.

Hope this helped

-Jacob

1 Like

Alright, thanks for the spelling correction. The most recent attempt at it I tried to go flush but I put in too much and didn’t catch it in time, I will try scraping with a card. Before that I was putting the silicone in as little as possible because I had bad prior experiences with too much silicone. I will definitely get back to you once I try it again after I get back from my 1:00 PM class (got work before then).
Once the silicone is in the groove how long do you let it set? Long ago when I was fairly new at it someone on here said apply, wait 30 minutes, heat on a frying pan, then wait another hour. That’s what I’ve been doing but if you think that’s bad then I will try whatever you say.
Thanks a ton theOldestCraze!

Wow. That does not sound good. I was always told to pour in the sili and then scrape off excess and then don’t touch it for AT LEAST 24 HOURS. Speeding up the curing time in other methods breaks down the molecules and doesn’t allow it to form correctly. So I’ve been told. It sucks waiting but that’s why we all have multiple yoyos right?

That could be why your’s doesn’t last long. Silicone hardens or cures by a chemical reaction process. Speeding up the reaction time on various glues can have undesirable results. Follow the directions on the tube for best results.