Shutter vs Wide Angle vs Horizon vs Marco vs Edge

Which? I am not putting price into consideration.
Please write the best in each category:
Fingerspin time
Horizontal yoyoing
Grind time
Spin time
Weight
Overall shape
Slack and bangers
Comfort in the hand
Overall
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Horizon will have the longest fingerspin time IF and ONLY IF you can land & maintain a clean fingerspin in a bowl-shaped cup. I find the horizon to be less comfortable to hold in the hand due to its narrower width/rims and steep profile, but it’s not uncomfortable by any means. If you’re already looking at the Horizon, though, you should peep the Marco - it’s like a wider and superpowered Horizon.

Haven’t tried the WA Shutter for comparison, but between the Shutter and Horizon I’d pick the Shutter simply because it’s wider and better for all-around use. Also, it’s the Shutter - everyone should try or own one :slight_smile:

4 Likes

Honestly, I have all three, the Shutter Wide Angle in all categories. Like mentioned above, finger spins might be better if you can get them in the Horizon. I can’t get them without using two fingers to land and pull one out. I actually have the Horizon and Ultra and don’t use them. Not comfortable for me. But the Shutter and WA are not at a disadvantage fingerspinning though.

So…Sutter Wide Angle.

Edit: The Shutter is great, but for me the Wide Angle out performs it in all categories.

5 Likes

The edge has better spin time right? If you do get the edge I would reccomend avoiding the 1.5 version because its heavier and not quite as speedy in play.

1 Like

I like the edge or the unengraved shutter wide angle.

3 Likes

I would have to go back and edit my statements.
When I read the title I only thought it was Shutter, WA, and Horizon.

1 Like

Came here to say pretty much exactly what MarkD said already.

3 Likes

doesnt matter buy them all theyre all good

7 Likes

:point_up_2:This is the correct answer! :point_up_2:

4 Likes

Fingerspin time: Horizon or Marco by far. The Shutter won’t even come close. The Edge is decent if you can use the spike/bump, but I’d say that’s harder than using the Horizon. That being said, you’ll still need lots of practice to master the fingerspin on a Horizon. I love it, but it wasn’t easy to figure out how it works.

Horizontal yoyoing: Again, Horizon, Marco, or Edge, simply because it’s easier to maintain their stability during horizontal play. The Shutter doesn’t even come close to these three in terms of stability, not even during side style play.

Grind time: Horizon or Edge, but I like the type of blast on my Horizon the best. For Tallon Grinds, I’d go with the Horizon.

Spin time: All very capable. I haven’t tested the actual spin times, but that doesn’t really matter. Spin time is affected by other factors such as string friction and mostly stability. The Shutter isn’t as stable, but it’s very powerful, so it makes up for it.

Weight: Very subjective. It depends on what you like. I like all of them.

Overall shape: Edge, followed by Horizon and Marco.

Slack and bangers: Edge

Comfort in the hand: Also, very subjective. A lot of people don’t like the shape of the Horizon too much. I’m not one of them. I’d say, your safest best is the Edge here.

Your safest bet, if you’re not sure what to get, would be the Edge. Most people like the Edge. I haven’t read too many complaints about it.

My personal favorite: Horizon. It tends to polarize users. You’ll either love it or hate it. I love it!

5 Likes

So ultimately there are some benefits and slight compromises in each of these yoyos. All of these are super capable and can perform all of your tasks thoroughly. Personally I don’t like the more extreme angle and edge of the Marco, and I don’t prefer the shape and feel of the Horizon. I do like the Edge alot, I have the 1.5 version. I also really like the Wide Angle.

Knowing these are all subjective opinions and they can all perform these tasks, I would suggest ordering several of them up front. If you order them from Yoyo Expert and are very careful with them, you can send back the ones you don’t care for. I only suggest it because they suggested that I do that in the past. I would keep everything in the package pristine and use my own string so you can send it back in a re-sellable condition.

2 Likes

If you have money: Shutter Wangle, Marco, Edge (if you can find it)
Budget 6061: Shutter, Horizon, Kedge

Whatever floats your boat.