Show some wooden yoyos you've made

That makes me even more excited! I love when wooden yoyos have a bit of heft to them. Good luck with the rest of the project!

3 Likes

Thank you! I’m aiming for somewhere between 50-55g, but we’ll see where the wood takes me.

3 Likes

Are you going to try both orientations for spectraplay, or is this the one you’ve settled on? I like that this orientation has a bit of a throwback aesthetic to the BC Apollo/Lightning.

3 Likes

I’m at least going to start with this orientation, since it’s less likely to have tear out problems. I also think I like the look of this orientation better anyway.
Some sort of slanted, diagonal orientation would be cool too but I think it would result in a lot of wasted material and it’s pretty expensive to start with.

5 Likes

It’s on its way

30 Likes

This is amazing! Love the colors and design. Great work.

3 Likes

8 Likes

25 Likes

They all look great, but the pattern/grain on the brown one in the bottom middle is absolutely gorgeous. :scream::star_struck::heart_eyes:

4 Likes

Yeah, that one caught my eye too!

2 Likes

Great stuff. I’ll be curious on the final weight of the SpectraPlys.

2 Likes

Nooooo, take your eye off of it! I want it. :wink:

1 Like

That one is leopardwood, and it’s going to @RC_yo-yo :grin:. It really is a great looking wood.

@Woozie , these spectras are on track to be around 53-54 grams.

8 Likes

That’s kinda the goldilocks weight. Not too light and not too heavy. The recess adds a nice detail. If there’s a waiting list, sign me up.

3 Likes

Long story short, I messed up the edge on the recessed blue/white spectra one. After I fixed it and changed shape, it ended up closer to 50 g.

7 Likes

Having seen killer wood work in this forum, i wanted to post this as a really inspiring use of spectraply type material…

No pressure, lol!

I would or course be interested in something like this but wing shaped, fixie and or bearing, in multipe orientations of diferent color spectraply sections in each pie slice, wink wink.

14 Likes

That’s a really cool use of the spectraply. What that disc in the center? It almost looks like paper or cardboard.

Edit- never mind… the lights were playing tricks on me. It’s metal.

5 Likes

Its a metal axle peice for a ball bearing seat, the wood is well manufactured but it has lots of vibe for a bearing setup, much more than even a decent fixie. This is from a woodshop i found on the interwebs, not a yoyo maker per se…

1 Like

You could call it the Frankenstein’s Monster. And laser tech some stitch marks to “hold” the pieces together.

3 Likes

Trying out various beeswax polish mixtures. I’m going for something subtle. Hopefully it works :crossed_fingers:

17 Likes