Show some plastic yoyos you made

Not entirely true @persson . I don’t make the bearing seat and axle cap. They are machined by Onedrop. I only make the plastic halves.

2 Likes

Do you think you wouldn’t be able to do it? Maybe with a manual metal lathe? Also hobbyist?
Those are the easiest parts to do.
Halves are very difficult to make.
The impressive thing is to make a series of them, all the same with a non-CNC machine.
The amazing and unique thing is to do them completely freehand on a wood lathe !!!

4 Likes

This has been an enjoyable read. Thanks @Glenacius_K for sharing this.

4 Likes

Do you think you could make some A and D bearing seats and response for me on your metal lathe?

I’ve wanted to make a D bearing POM yoyo and a A bearing slimline for quite a while.

5 Likes

D bearing pom would be dope

4 Likes

Next level kinda stuff.

1 Like

Forgive me but my english is very bad.
Are you asking me if I could make you seats with a response system with my lathe with bearing sizes D and A?
Yes, you could, but this is not a good time, because between the work and the activities there are to do in the countryside I have a totally busy day.
If you are not in a hurry, I try to spend some time in the evening but I don’t guarantee you anything.
If, on the other hand, you need a section drawing with accurate measurements, I can supply it to you (with measure A, I have the Yomega Metallic Missile from which to obtain the measurements).
I take this opportunity to attach photos (which you asked me) of works I did years ago with my lathe (sorry but it took me a long time to find them).
The first one you see is a yoyo that I made in grade 5 titanium and the idea was precisely to be able to replace various sizes of bearings and response systems

(first rough)

here you see the sets I made of aluminum, sizes M (YYJ Big-yo), C and D.

Here with bearing M

As you can see, however, the weight was quite high and some time later, to try to lighten it, also thanks to a certain difficulty in being able to measure the thicknesses with the micrometer … it made this end.

Various days of work thrown in the wind, you know better than I that there are very frequent risks in carrying out totally manual processes.

Here some other photos of changes that I made, the pink OneStar was the second of the three that I made …

(lightening with shape modification)

I certainly have more photos, for example I remember making them while I was returning the titanium cups, but I can’t find them … in case I will publish them

11 Likes

This stuff is really cool! I love the massive titanium yoyo and the modified plastics! They look so good.

Getting the weight just right can be a difficult thing, and remounting work back on the lathe to reduce the weight is really risky. It so easily introduces vibe and the failure of the half as you well know.

No problem about the bearing seats and caps. I understand you are busy and it’s not important. It’s just something I thought would be cool. :+1:

2 Likes

If this happens hit me up about our previous discussion :wink:

Exactly @Glenacius_K
For my normal needs I don’t even have many accessories for my lathe, in fact, to avoid that type of problem it would be necessary to use a plateau with independent clamps, so as to be able to center the piece every time by means of a centesimal comparator … precision work anyway and which takes a long time each time (the self-centering chuck is very comfortable but by its nature and construction, not very precise, and the errors add up with each shot).
For now, in addition to my short time, the coronavirus is creating many problems here in Italy, among the many restrictions for now there is also the fact that only essential goods can travel, so I would also have difficulty buying aluminum bars to be turned (here at home I only have pieces with a diameter of around 50-60 mm) … but we hope that things will improve in a few weeks …
We will update for this … :wink:

This is a yoyo that I made with a Teflon-like polymer named Arnite.
(slight vibration and very pleasant to play)

Here instead the first Onestar that I made and that I gave to a friend.

here is the first test.

8 Likes

Next I’m going to make a and MK1 Yoyos Umbra in white POM. That is, as long as @MarkD doesn’t mind.

6 Likes

Go for it!

5 Likes

i would buy that.

3 Likes

Get ready to save up like, $400 or however much time it’ll take to turn a 55mm wide yoyo by hand.

7 Likes

lmao, ok.

2 Likes

Well I’ve made a 56mm wide one before so it shouldn’t be too bad.

3 Likes

only $399! :wink::joy:

4 Likes

There’s a story with this one. I didn’t think I’d be making this.

I went to the local craft store with my son to buy some dye for my POM yoyos. He wanted a balloon while we were there, so I bought him one. He was stoked. The very moment he brought it in the door, it burst, and I mean the very moment it passed the threshold. Lots of tears.

So I said, ‘I can make you a yoyo if you like’ just to cheer him up. So this is the yoyo that I made him.

It’s 49mm in diameter and about 30 wide with a solid aluminium 6.35mm axle. It’s made of POM dyed pink. I sanded it with 250 grit sand paper which has gives it a soft flocked feel.

27 Likes

Sad but the yoyo is very col!

What is that made out of? Acetol(pom)?

2 Likes