Show some plastic yoyos you made

I like it, but mainly because “Beater” is what the goblins/orcs called Gandalf’s sword, more properly known as “Glamdring the Foe-hammer”. :nerd_face:

4 Likes

Do you think this will hold up wear wise? Would the holes not be enough?

1 Like

Haha, I feel like that’s two side of the same coin. The goblins called the sword “beater” because it gave a beating, Glen’s calling the yoyo beater because it’s designed to take one!

2 Likes

It won’t wear quickly. HDPE is a very resilient plastic. I tried with just the holes and it has virtually no response.

2 Likes

Looking forward to turning some of this today!

8 Likes

This is one of the hardest parts of turning a plastic unresponsive on a wood lathe. I have to turn this recess to exactly .270 of an inch and the exact width of the Cabal bearing seat with this little square end scraper. One tiny slip and it’s all over.

8 Likes

The first half… Took about 3 hours. I must be out of practise.

9 Likes

Finally made, but wider and heavier than a Scone. This one is 55.3mm×47mm.

Fingernail vibe but extremely smooth on the string. It’s 67g but feels perfect to me at that weight. Bouncy, floaty and maneuverable. To me, it’s everything an organic should be. I don’t think there’s much point in selling this one because it took about 6hs to make and no-one would pay the price I think it would be worth for my time.

18 Likes

how much would you sell it for?

1 Like

It looks amazing! I could never afford what it is worth but well done, you have made the best thing! :slight_smile:

1 Like

The price isn’t even worth uttering.

3 Likes

good I can’t afford a yoyo that’s more then $1 :wink:

2 Likes

I’m still waiting for that Beater.

3 Likes

This is wisdom being shared. I think a lot of new craftsmen tend to undervalue their time and hard earned experience. Please take a lesson from Glen, don’t undersell your the value of your skill.

3 Likes

As tough as they are, they can still come apart.

Abandoned.

1 Like

I agree that an artisan’s time is worth money. But that’s only true if the labor can be converted to revenue. Labor used to produce an item that is never sold is labor that yields a 0% return. How else is Glen going to recoup the labor spent on that prototype if he never sells it? Which is the bigger loss? Selling it for $60 or never selling it at all?

1 Like

It’s not that I value my skill really highly, it’s just that the time it took to make is not worth the price someone would buy one for.

I’m probably better off just throwing it and enjoying it myself.

5 Likes

In the same time it took to make this, I could have made some fixed axles up to the value of $210. Would anyone pay anything approaching that price for this yoyo? Highly doubtful. Whatever else I sell it for would be a loss, so I should just put that one down as a learning experience and keep it unless some crazy soul wants to pay like $160 USD for it.

3 Likes

Right, but you didn’t make $210 worth of wood fixies with that time. At the moment, all that can be said is that you made $0 worth of yoyo for that time spent. On the other hand, it could be said that you made $60 (just an example figure) worth of yoyo for that time spent. But only if you sell it for $60. Which is better? $0 or $60 (again, just throwing an example figure that someone is much more likely to pay than $210).

I guess you could say that you gained $210 worth of valuable crafting experience with that time spent. Fine. But you could also make a little cash in addition to that if you sold it for whatever the “market” will bear for that prototype.

1 Like

I’d rather just get enjoyment value out if it then sell it for a low price.

6 Likes